Lakenvelders

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Re: Lakenvelders

Post by Giffen Farms » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:56 am

baronrenfrew wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:57 am
1. get peepers - it stops feather picking (also used for meat birds and pheasants) https://www.berryhill.ca/poultry-anti-pick-s/1898.htm

2. they are bored - especially if in a pen without windows - give them a swing (yes, like cage birds) and food they can tear at - lettuce, pumpkins, bread etc.

3. could be a result of inbreeding / line breeding - get some outside blood.

4. maybe more protein - add mealworms? this is a common problem among pheasant keepers

5. some breeds don't handle confinement well. I hade some years ago and running free - they ran around like pheasants, unbelievable!

366A3628-584A-4235-9E3B-ED04DAB6B851.jpeg
I'll try those blinders, I know they dont do confinement very well that is they're downfall, originally from performance poultry.
I know of a guy in the goderich area that is trying to replace the black with lavender very striking looking, he bought 2 dozen eggs for new bloodlines
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 am

Quite a few people have success with feeding dry cat food to add protein. Mine never took to it, but that's not to say that yours won't love it. I think WLLady feeds her flock dry cat food during molt.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:45 am

Jaye wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 am
Quite a few people have success with feeding dry cat food to add protein. Mine never took to it, but that's not to say that yours won't love it. I think WLLady feeds her flock dry cat food during molt.
I would love to do that, as I'm sure, would the racoons :doh:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

I have to wonder about their feed then ,perhaps they are not getting enough of some vitamin or mineral. I know different breeds require different amounts. Silkies for instance require a higher selenium content than most or they get rye syndrome. I know some people never have that problem but when you look at their feed it already has a higher selenium content. I know I had to play around with different feeds, finally had to go to the feed store and have them tell me their feed with the highest selenium content, saw a difference right away.
It's frustrating as all get out but I know as a kid I had some bantams that were terrible feather and flesh eaters and they were free rangers. Feed store suggested more calcium so I got some osteyer shells, nothing worked. Never had birds like that since.

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 pm

Could try crushing it up before hand then mixing afterwards
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”