Brown egg layers

PlumHollow
Newly Hatched Chick

Brown egg layers

Post by PlumHollow » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 pm

:PTO: I have had Freys RIR'S for 3 years. They are not laying nearly as many eggs as my leghorns. Would breeder raised chickens give me better lay rate? I also wonder if the low lay rate could be caused by non-commercial housing (not climate controlled). Would I do better with australorpes or another breed? I prefer not to use hybrids since I want to hatch replacements.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Brown egg layers

Post by KimChick » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 pm

My young Barred Rocks that were hatched at the end of May, are laying now. I bought the eggs from the Lombardy Buy-Sell-Trade at the beginning of May.
We do not heat our barn or coops. There is also the light factor; this time of year has less daylight. Even though we put a light on in the barn hen house during the day, egg production goes down in the winter. And these are hens that are free to go out of the barn during the day.
Maybe mine are still adjusting to one rooster; he visits the group that stays in the barn and the younger group that stays outside.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 pm

@PlumHollow ...i have several RIRs from Freys..they are just over 2 yrs old and although none of my girls are doing any laying at present ( I am getting on average 2 eggs per day from over 30 birds) the RIRs have been dismal at egg production...the Barred Rocks from Bonnies which I started with back in '15 outlay them 3 to 1 and are twice as old...i wouldn't bother with Freys for RIRs...I haven't been able to supply eggs for my customers for some time now and when the young girls start as the daylight hours lengthen i will have a bounty...i don't use artificial lighting..all natural hear... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 am

For straight egg production, it will be very difficult to match the leghorns. something in their genes says for them to lay an egg pretty much every day, don't grow too big so they don't need as much food. This is why they are the commercial bird of choice when they want ten or twenty thousand to lay eggs. Lots of production and less food consumption.

They are also very flighty because they think something always trying to eat them, which it is when they free range. Its why they make such good free rangers when allowed. Its why I got eggs from WLL this summer and will be keeping a rooster and the two pullets. They aren't as much fun as the other mutts, but eggs they will supply, and likely not get caught by a predator.

My opinion is that just like people, a diverse group will prosper over a homogenous one. Another reason why I like my broodies and try not to source from the hatchery.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:28 am

Just after posting this, I watched Admin's posted youtube Why Americans Refrigerate Eggs. It explains most of what I said way better than I can, and how eggs can be stored up to a year and still be good. Really good info in it for us hobbiests.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 am

I think RIR are just not the layers the commercial breeds are, they will never be as good in comparison.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”