Any guess at the breed backgroud?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Any guess at the breed backgroud?

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:00 pm

So I know they are bantam mutts. The mailed eggs I got from Windwearywoof. But I was wondering about the black ears, black pea combs. Klondike, the rooster I am for sure keeping, that is feather not skin near the top of his head, and the tiniest bit of red skin just under the beak. Black Bess the pullet is not as dark skinned as him and a few red spots, but similar breeding I am guessing. They both have greeny black legs, dark olive and shiny.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Any guess at the breed backgroud?

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Darn pictures didn't post.
Attachments
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:43 pm

What, nobody? Ok, if it helps, here is some additional information. I don't have any gypsy-faced roosters, only two hens, so one of them is likely to be the mom. Wait, gypsy faced is probably not politically correct. I'm not sure what the correct term is...fibromelanistic? But, although Klondike's skin is dark, it's not true black, and neither will his meat or bones be, though they will be darker than the average.
But anyway, here are the possible moms and dads
20180524_193102.jpg
Gypsy is a medium bantam paint hen with medium black skin and just a hint of green (yellow) in her shanks
20180524_192216.jpg
Goldyduck the rooster does not have darker skin, it is whitish with pink. He's called Goldyduck because he has a duckwing triangle, and because at hatch, two of his toes were "webbed", fairly common in birds that carry the gene for an extra toe. He's a small bantam.
DSC00201.JPG
Betty, a.k.a. Itty Bitty. Her skin is blacker than Toby's behind (oops, that's not PC either) and white underneath, but carries yellow. She is a tiny bantam hen, almost completely fits in one hand.
DSC09983.JPG
Moose a.k.a. Speck. Medium-large bantam. Has very yellow skin, a bit of leg feathering and a bit of hairdo flair as well.

There, that should make guessing at least one of the makeup breeds pretty easy. I can do some grandparent and great-grandparent pictures too, if it helps. Unfortunately, I'm a crappy photographer and exactly ZERO of my pictures shows off what their TYPE looks like, but the further you go back and see colours, feathering, etc., the easier it is to guess breeds

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:24 pm

LOL, haven't heard those particular "not PC" expressions in many years.
Anyway, while I can see that they are all very pretty birds ... as far as breed background possibilities go, I've still got nothin'. Wild guess would be that Itty Bitty and Moose got together.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm going to guess some ameraucana and some old english and maybe a splash of silkie. Ha! Ha! Who knows but interesting colour.
I guess Goldyduck and Betty as parents.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”