Question for Ameraucana breeders...

Penny
On the Roost

Question for Ameraucana breeders...

Post by Penny » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 pm

I bought 5 straight run blue Ameraucana chicks, which at 3.5 months still all seem to be girls! Woohoo! But....here's the kicker...one has definite green between her toes which means yellow skin. Yellow skin is a disqualification in showing, and means they are really poorly bred or not pure Ameraucana....correct? I had kind of dabbled with the idea of showing one of the more correct pullets next spring but wonder if there would even be a point to it when her offspring might not breed true. I really only got them beacause I wanted blue eggs and the poultry show interest came after I already had them. Should I just be happy with my pretty blue EEs or would the other 4 have showing and breeding potential? How often do things like yellow skin show up in Ontario bred Ameraucanas?

Photo of the yellow skin and the other is just one of the pullets (can't hardly tell them apart! Lol)
Attachments
20180702_110530.jpg
20180717_204413.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Question for Ameraucana breeders...

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm

I would wait a bit, the yellow may just be a "young bird" yellow, and I would not be making any decisions until they were at least 5 month old.
Looks like a pretty good type Ameraucana to me.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:15 pm

i totally agree with OC....let them grow up a bit first....melanizers sometimes take a while to grow in and change the leg colour.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Wouldn't worry about it yet. As to pure, Ameraucanas are a relatively young breed and throw backs happen in the best of lines. Every new colour in most cases other breeds are introduced to improve colour and type, although blue is not a new colour.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”