Silkies in winter?

Penny
On the Roost

Silkies in winter?

Post by Penny » Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 pm

How do your silkies do in winter? In an insulated coop, but no heat, with open door to outside covered run (which is wrapped in plastic in winter - but still has ventilation). I would think that they might have issues with keeping warm due to their feather construction. Any insight from Silkie keepers? Thinking of adding one to my little flock...because they are broody...and super cute! I also want to be sure they would be alright over winter though.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Silkies in winter?

Post by kenya » Tue May 01, 2018 3:44 pm

I've had them out in extreme cold in the barn no heat with no problems but these were healthy birds. I tend to baby the show birds more, have them in the garage. I would think you would be fine but add at least 2 so they can buddy up. Other breeds tend to pick on them if not raised together.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 pm

I've kept them for years! I do baby them and they love the heat lamp but go outside in the winter no problem. You do need more than 1...chicken math thing :stars:

Cheers Karen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat May 19, 2018 5:37 pm

I used to have a little bantam frazzled easter egger that would often spend the winter almost bald, without heat of any sort. I felt bad for him, but he did fine, as long as he had other birds to cuddle with at night, so I imagine Silkies would be ok.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”