Guinea Fowl

Epona
Starting to Crow

Guinea Fowl

Post by Epona » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm

I have always been really strict with the Guineas... One male w three - four hens. And I never allow a hatch. I was down in my population. I had one of each gender at the moment. Bought 3 keets last yr and of course, ended up with one hen. Unfortunately for me, the two new males are huge compared to mine and one is lavender and the other is pearl with white splashes . So my question is....can I keep them all? I've not mixed them together yet, but wonder if I will have too many males for a peaceful yard. I do free range, but close them up in the winter.

the chickenvilla
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Guinea Fowl

Post by the chickenvilla » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 pm

HI, I ended up one year with to many males - the extra males started to attack my roosters and almost killing one.
So I would need keep more as 1 male for at least two females

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:08 am

if you keep more than 1 male per 3 females in my limited experience the males will gang up and either kill your females, or they'll go after your (insert something here.....cat, dog, chickens, turkeys etc ) and kill them.....i have lost several chickens to rampant "boy group gangs"...i try to have only 1 boy to at least 1 girl (right now i have 1 of each), preferably 1 boy to at least 3 girls....somehow the boys will successfully service up to 8 girls i've found.
but the jury is still out on whether i'm going to keep my 1 girl and 1 boy.....BVF can shed some light on how she manages to have so many birds....
@Bayvistafarm any input?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm

When I just had the girls I had no problems until I added a male then he started beating up the chickens.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks all. Sort of figured I'd have a problem. So I guess I'll be sending the 2 extra males out. I've never had an aggression problem with the Guineas, and I don't want to create one.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”