Americauna Roosters

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Re: Americauna Roosters

Post by muffin57 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks guys! www you sure are knowledgeable. I don't know if I will ever be able to get a true Ameraucana from here. I surely will have to be careful before wasting any money. It would be nice to get them locally rather than having to pay for shipping. Oh well, like I said I'm not in a rush. Spring is still a ways away.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 am

I don't know about "knowledgeable", but maybe a little, er, OCD, er, anal :D . When I decided on a breed to focus on, I pored over information and pictures online. And then when I started looking for some for sale, I found a lot of ads with pictures I had just seen, so now I backtrack almost all pictures, especially summer pictures in ads placed in winter. Sometimes it's served me very well, but sometimes I wonder if I'm not shooting myself in the foot...some older breeders will sometimes sell extras through a friend, who will then post pictures found online... because if you post an ad without any pictures at all, the only responses you get will be people e-mailing and asking for pictures,. But in those cases, the pictures are at least (usually) true to breed.
99.9% of the time though, pursuing birds posted with third party pictures are a waste of time.
And if you want quality birds, there's going to be travel involved, whether yours, the birds, or both...if you want healthy, hardy birds, there's really no getting around some legwork/expense. It's doubly hard for you being so far from the most populated parts, but if you CAN travel, make a multi-purpose trip and find some chickens along the way :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:07 am

That's really funny that people would post other peoples pictures, I don't see the point unless you are delibertly trying to fool someone. With cellphones its so easy to take a picture, I mean when people come to pick up the birds they are going to immediately see the lie.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm

kenya wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:07 am
That's really funny that people would post other peoples pictures, I don't see the point unless you are delibertly trying to fool someone. With cellphones its so easy to take a picture, I mean when people come to pick up the birds they are going to immediately see the lie.
Uneducated selling to the uninformed.......
Apparently that's what makes the world go around, bit sad actually. :idunno:

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”