Question Ameraucana?

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Re: Ameraucana?

Post by muffin57 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:12 pm

That will be awesome Jaye! I would love all those colored eggs. Thanks! And thank you too WWW for your info. Now I really want them. I can't wait. If I breed them with my Marans, will they still be considered EE's?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:35 pm

If they are EE's from a hatchery, they were probably sold as Ameraucana/Easter Eggers thats where the confusion starts.
Look like the birds sold by Performance poultry, they tend to be good healthy birds that lay more or less blue eggs and tend to lay larger eggs then the "pure" Ameraucanas.
Well priced at $15

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:23 pm

muffin57 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:12 pm
That will be awesome Jaye! I would love all those colored eggs. Thanks! And thank you too WWW for your info. Now I really want them. I can't wait. If I breed them with my Marans, will they still be considered EE's?
Nope, some WILL be EEs, some will be first generation Olive Eggers, and some will just be mutts that lay (or father) brown eggs.
With pea-combed EEs, the blue egg gene is closely tied to comb type, so as a general rule, no pea comb=brown eggs. Pea comb bred with a single combed breed like Marans will give you approximately 6 of one, half dozen of the other :D

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”