Ameraucana vs Easter Egger?? Please help!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Ameraucana vs Easter Egger?? Please help!

Post by kenya » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm

They are easter eggers, no doubt. As well ,mixing breed colours produce easter eggers not ameraucana's. Ameraucanas have to conform to a breed standard which any off colour automatically makes it an easter egger, but green or yellow legs say something else is in the mix of these chicks. So if he bought easter eggers from someone thinking they were just off colour ameraucana he may well have bought ameraucana crosses, eg. Ameraucana x wyandotte or ameraucana x leghorn who knows whats in the mix.
Last edited by kenya on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverlacedmom
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Silverlacedmom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:39 pm

kenya wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm
They are easter eggers, no doubt.
Thanks for your honest opinion...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Kenya is correct. Ameraucanas have very specific colours based on sop and if bred together are easter eggers. They must breed true to the colour of the sop for them to be considered ameraucanas.
If they do not conform to ameraucana sop they are easter eggers. Plain and simple.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Silverlacedmom
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Silverlacedmom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 pm

The thing that ruffles my feathers (hehe) is that I would have went on to maybe sell some eggs to friends telling them these are true Ameracauna...and then I am no better than what this seller has done. I would have just continued the misrepresentation...and that is what I am trying to stop in getting this ironed out.

Not that I want to "burn" this seller for no reason, or something...The seller was helpful, nice, packaged the eggs immaculately, they had a high hatch rate. Now if they were only the right breed...I would have never brought this up, in fact I was going to do the opposite and post a praise post saying how well my interaction with the seller was and how well they did on everything...(well except for shipping Serama instead of the Wynadottes, but I say that was truly a mistake and human error...)

But at the end of the day, I paid for pure bred Ameracauna, something people pay well for, and just got Easter Eggers that I could have gotten from a hatchery...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Silverlacedmom wrote:
I will quote from text messages

"I dont believe I sent any easter Eggers to you. They should have been Ameracauna. But my blue Ameraucana rooster breeding my buff Ameracauna hen will create a easter Egger..still an Ameraucana. It is only based on plumage color..."

He said that to me, is that correct if you have a blue rooster mated to a buff, it would make a Easter Egger that would be still an Ameraucana...he thinks that EEs just means some color variety of an Ameraucana...not that he understands them to be diffrent breeds all together.
Unfortunately this statement only confirms the original suspicion, this is not a knowledgeable breeder.
In your original post, you have very clearly described, and obviously understood what the breed should look like.
By putting a Blue Ameraucana rooster over a Buff Ameraucana hen, the only result will be an Easter egger, because you can't get out of this breeding any Accepted variety of Ameraucanas.
You are not the first and will not be last to get caught in this Ameraucana/Easter egger mess, sorry you have to deal with this disappointment.
This is a good source of information and the Gallery has pictures of the Ameraucana varieties
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:43 am

Some hatcheries also sell as Ameraucanas what turn out to be Easter Eggers. I hope that he makes this right for you although I know it's difficult at this point.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Silverlacedmom
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Silverlacedmom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 am

So someone clarify the buff + blue = ????

Can you have a true buff Amaracauna or is that NOT an acceptable color? (if you search for buff Amaracauna people are selling them)

And why would if Buff is a "True" color of the Amaracauna, why would be breeding it to a Blue=an easter egger?

He is saying in the text, that the Buff+Blue=Amaracauna but would be considered Easter Egger, almost like he is saying Easter Egger is a name for a coloration of an Amaracauna, where as I understand Easter Egger to mean a Mutt Mix of past or present breedings of two diffrent birds.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:45 pm

There are buff ameraucana but crossing blue with buff gives you mud, their might be some pretty colours but who knows what. Buff is pretty rare up here more likely he has wheaten hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:57 pm

OK I have my handy dandy standard out. Please bear in mind I know nothing about Ameraucanas. It lists - Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White. ALL legs are listed as variants of SLATE depending on colour and bottom of feet and toes WHITE. Beak is Black for Black Ameraucanas and horn for the rest.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Silverlacedmom
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Silverlacedmom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:01 pm
Silverlacedmom wrote:
I will quote from text messages

"I dont believe I sent any easter Eggers to you. They should have been Ameracauna. But my blue Ameraucana rooster breeding my buff Ameracauna hen will create a easter Egger..still an Ameraucana. It is only based on plumage color..."

He said that to me, is that correct if you have a blue rooster mated to a buff, it would make a Easter Egger that would be still an Ameraucana...he thinks that EEs just means some color variety of an Ameraucana...not that he understands them to be diffrent breeds all together.
Unfortunately this statement only confirms the original suspicion, this is not a knowledgeable breeder.
In your original post, you have very clearly described, and obviously understood what the breed should look like.
By putting a Blue Ameraucana rooster over a Buff Ameraucana hen, the only result will be an Easter egger, because you can't get out of this breeding any Accepted variety of Ameraucanas.
You are not the first and will not be last to get caught in this Ameraucana/Easter egger mess, sorry you have to deal with this disappointment.
This is a good source of information and the Gallery has pictures of the Ameraucana varieties
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html
That website with the pictures of the chicks is great. The funny thing is I thought I was sure of the "blue" bird I might have (the only one with slate legs and beak), and the "Red" guy but they look nothing like ANY of the pictures they have...And the funny thing is the wheaten and buff chicks look similar to what I have, but my birds have other markings, splotches of color...so maybe thats a blue-buff "splash" chick I have, like Kenya said, breeding the two = mud.

I am assuming "splash" coloration patterns are not acceptable...

They are already sprouting their wing feathers. They wont be fuzzy bums for too much longer...

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”