Basque - chick colors

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Basque - chick colors

Post by Shnookie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 am

I hatched 8 Basque chicks June 3. 4 hatched from each breeding pen. One pen had a 3 year old rooster and a 4 year old hen, the other had a 4 year old rooster and three 11 month old pullets. Now that they are feathering out, I think I have several white ones, and several males. They are all mixed together so I don't know which ones are from which breeding. I may be able to tell later. They are 3 weeks old. I have a few more EO eggs in the incubator from the 3 year old rooster and the 4 year old hen, so if they hatch I will be able to see which ones from this hatch are theirs (maybe).

I got one this color. I think it is a female, but it is always sitting on top of the feeder like males do.
IMG_2350.JPG
There are 6 this color. One of them has a darker comb than the rest.
IMG_2496.JPG
And there is 1 that is quite white with a bit of light brown. This is not what I expected to get as far as colors. Is there any chance the light ones are females?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Basque - chick colors

Post by kenya » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:44 pm

I think the first ones a male the 2nd a female, but its been a while since I hatched any EO's

Helliefant
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Helliefant » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 am

Generally speaking, the boys will start looking "spotty" and the girls will stay more brown. Also, the tail will be plainer on the females. It's a great question! I'm going to ask the peeps on the North American Basque Hen Facebook page and get back to you!
Any more pics?
Attachments
Female
Female

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm

They will be 4 weeks old this weekend. I will take some more pictures then. I believe there was some discussion a few years ago on the Basque forum that the white EOs that people get in Canada are always male. I am pretty sure that 5 are males - sit on feeders, rush over to pick my fingers when I put my hand in, have fuller tails (tails are not all barred though), one has a darker comb.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:14 pm

The first one looks like a young cockerel but it's iffy. The second one looks like a cockerel to me.

Here are couple of mine, first one is a pullet, second one is a cockerel.
Attachments
IMG_1858 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1578 (640x480).jpg

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”