is this baby a light brahma?

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

is this baby a light brahma?

Post by Microraptor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:15 pm

i got my birds from performance poultry on monday and unfortunately instead of a dark brahma i had to settle on a light, but i've been told by a friend she doesnt look like one. thoughts?
chicken artist :rooster7:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: is this baby a light brahma?

Post by Jaye » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Can't really help with IDing, because I've never owned any dark Brahma chicks, but it sure is CUTE!!!
The feathered legs look right ... I think it's a bit soon for a positive ID, though.
The tips of the wing feathers look like they COULD have the start of dark Brahma penciling. Maybe when it starts feathering in a bit, it will be easier to tell.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:09 am

Jaye wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm
Can't really help with IDing, because I've never owned any dark Brahma chicks, but it sure is CUTE!!!
The feathered legs look right ... I think it's a bit soon for a positive ID, though.
The tips of the wing feathers look like they COULD have the start of dark Brahma penciling. Maybe when it starts feathering in a bit, it will be easier to tell.
yeah only time will tell, but i love her regardless. her name is Pepper..
chicken artist :rooster7:

Mel.B
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Mel.B » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:07 am

light brahma chicks are yellow

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:01 am

You're right, mel.b. I misread microraptor's post, thought I read that they had substituted light Brahma for dark, but it's the other way around. microraptor, maybe you got your dark Brahma after all. 😊
ETA: microraptor, forgot to say that I think Pepper is a really good name for a dark Brahma
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Yup, you got your dark Brahma ;)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

not enough yellow on that chick....sometimes the lights can have some dark usually down the neck and back, but usually they are more yellow....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”