friendliest light breeds?

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 am

all breed descriptions on light fowl i see usually list them all as flighty and shy, are there any considerably docile light breeds?
chicken artist :rooster7:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 am

I would say its a question of natural selection occurring "on top of" breeders activities to propogate a breed. When I had Lakenvelders and Silver Spangled Hamburgs they were free to roam and were targeted by a falcon/hawk and so survival meant being nervous and flighty. The bigger birds I've kept were bigger than the falcon so they were left alone. I remember of a breeder with Jersey Giants saying the chickens were so big that nothing went after them so the birds were very calm.

It doesn't answer your question but it does shed some light. I know of a line of leghorns that disappeared as the breeder got old. He bred them to be quiet and relaxed but their egg production was a bit lower so no one picked them up.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

coonhound
On the Roost

Post by coonhound » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:00 pm

light brown leghorns my light browns are so quiet and friendly that when i go in the pen I have to watch out that I dont stop on them and they lay really good around 300+ a year and there an exhibition strain

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”