Quick Ameraucana colour review????

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 am

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST This is the only white "Ameraucana" I have ever had, so not sure if the legs should start slate colour, or if they actually turn slate from yellow??
Even if the legs turned slate later, (it's not very likely now) the base colour is yellow, which suggest the bottoms of feet are also yellow and not white as it should be.
It's not unusual to get a throw back in Ameraucanas, because the breed is young and somewhat unstable, to keep the stock breeding true care must be taken to use only birds as close to SOP as possible when choosing breeding stock.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 pm

When I had the white ameraucana they had very dark legs right from the start, I find the wheaten often have light legs that darken as they mature. As OC says its a young breed and throwback often happens.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for the info on the leg colour. My white pullet definitely has yellow legs, my plan is to breed her with a brown egg laying breed rooster to make oilve eggers, so she should be fine for that purpose.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”