Quick Ameraucana colour review????

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 pm

I need a quick leg etc colour review regarding Ameraucanas in case I see a nice one at the sale tomorrow. So since I would probably cross him with leghorns, feather colours doesn't matter but I want the blue eggs so need pure. From what I remember you Ameraucana people said yellow legs are wrong, green legs are wrong but white is ok? Black legs ok? What about the ones with blue legs, some almost have bluish purple legs, wrong or correct? Small comb, tufts and beard is correct? What was it about the eyes again? Any other tips please feel free to add them in. I have had them before so not completely green, just I didn't concentrate on keeping them to SOP.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Slate legs. No yellow. No green. Black is ok on a black ameraucana. Muffs and beard are a must.

White, black, blue, solid colours. Blue shoukd be laced in darker blue. Black so be free of red leakage.
Wheaten is the trickiest in males. Cinnamon wing triangle-not chestnut or red. Minimal black striping in hackles. Hackles golder than red. Blue wheaten can have reddish lacing on breast. Saddle goldenish. Red on shoulders. A wheaten young male may have whitish muffs and beard. Underfluff greyish but common to have white underfluff showing in front of tail on back. No black or yellow eyes. Tight pea comb without points. If it is raised or has points it is likely split pea/straight and looks amer but is ee.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 pm

All you ever wanted to know and then some.....;)
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST All you ever wanted to know and then some.....;)

Oh darn, I was getting excited because the chickids are hitting 17 weeks this Saturday and there is not so much as a hint of wattles on any of them. However according to this information, even the roosters should not have wattles or very tiny ones. The other thing I am clinging to is they run around and play but nobody charges or tries to fight. I would think by 17 weeks if there was a young rooster he would beat his wings and try to start a fight, yes???

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 pm

If he was a smart young cockerel and he was the only one, he would just keep very very quiet, especially if he knew it may shorten his life considerably.
Another week or two and he will be crowing and then you will know for sure ;)

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST All you ever wanted to know and then some.....;)
Looking at that link in their breed standard description it does not mention leg colour at all, unless I just don't see it.

I have a white "Ameraucana" pullet I bought from a breeder that has yellow legs, when I said I would buy it she said it was pure Ameraucana, not until I picked it up did the issue of yellow legs come up. She said the legs will turn slate colour??? The pullet is probably 3 months old and still yellow legs. It does not really matter to me, as I am using her for crossbreeding but just curious, since this breeder always promotes her stock as pure and show quality (lol). This is the only white "Ameraucana" I have ever had, so not sure if the legs should start slate colour, or if they actually turn slate from yellow??

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 am

Should be slate coloured

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:02 am

Many ameraucanas have lighter legs at hatch that do darken but in the first 3-4 weeks....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 am

SOP for
Black Ameraucana
Shanks and toes very dark Slate to Black, bottoms of feet and toes white.
Blue Ameraucana
Shanks and toes dark Slate, bottoms of feet and toes white
Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White
Shanks and toes Slate, bottoms of feet and toes white.

I guess our resident judge could tell us how much attention he pays to colour of legs when judging Ameraucanas.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:56 am

My 2 black girls look like they have French manicures with the little white toenails and black legs!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”