can you visually sex day old Malines?

Post by muffin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Need to know, thanks! :baby ckick:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 pm

I believe you should be able to. or at least most of the time. I have malines from 3 sources. Bulbs of Fire birds I hatched out, definitely can sex as day olds, the males are lighter than the females. My birds from Gwen Robertson are the same, the rooster is much lighter (I did not get those couple birds as chicks). I have a trio I bought from another breeder as 4 month old birds the rooster and both hens are all dark cuckoo pattern, so I am guessing as chicks they would have been hard to sex. But I have questions in my mind if they are pure, I am not breeding them.

I have 30 malines eggs going in the incubator tomorrow from a breeder in Calgary, his roosters are lighter than his hens, so I can guessing I should be able to sex the chicks.

I am trying to find a photo of the few chicks I hatched last summer, but no luck so far.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Here is a photo of the cuckoo malines I hatched out from Bulbs of Fire eggs.

The lighter one is the male, darker one female. I only had 6 eggs, 4 hatched, 2 light and 2 dark, and both the light ones were males and both dark were girls.
Malines BCM.jpg
JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”