Performance Poultry ameraucanas/easter eggers

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:45 am

i placed an order this year for PP's ameraucana, i was curious and asked what colour they carried to which jason replied their flock is mixed.
so i'm curious, anyone here have pp ameraucanas and what are they like? are there certain colours that definitely are or arent in their breeding flock?
i also heard theirs arent technically ameraucana but easter eggers, whats the exact difference?

on the topic of performance poultry, how good is their sexing accuracy and mortality rate of chicks when not air delivered? i am driving to pick up, my hatch date is april 28-29 :dance:
chicken artist :rooster7:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:25 am

The birds at PP are almost all 'wild-type'/partridge colour, that lay green eggs, and cannot be called Ameraucana as partridge is not a recognized APA colour and the standard calls for blue eggs (I believe). Many also have green legs, which speaks to something else in there, likely sexlink, to increase laying ability. Amers must have slate or black legs. PP birds are all Easter Eggers. Some people would say, "well, if you cross a buff Orpington with a black Orpington, the chicks are still Orpingtons", which is true (though not to my own mind), but it's comparing apples to oranges. With Ameraucanas, they are a relatively young breed, and different breeds went into creating the different accepted colours, so there isn't a clear, across the board "Ameraucana gene". Even keeping colours separated, throwbacks still happen, and serious breeders are working very hard to get their birds sorted to where they will breed true without a load of effort...these breeders will sometimes take great offense at a black EE with colour leakage (for example) being called Ameraucana, because they often see it as a money grab, taking away from their years of hard work when there's still so much work to do. So much in fact, that many starry-eyed breeders give up, especially when they discover how hard it is (and getting harder) to find unadulterated stock.
The bird they use for a picture on the PP website is a silver, which IS a recognized colour, but I've yet to see any EE chicks from there that were a recognized colour. That said, PPs EEs are perfectly fine backyard chickens if you'd like some green eggs. Just don't call an Orange an Apple in the wrong company, because some of the more, erm, passionate Ameraucana officionados will rip your head off and poop down your neck :o

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:31 am

Sexing: I have always gotten what I ordered, personally. Mortality rate: Except in the silver Spitzhaubens I got last year, which came with the worst case of pasty butt I've ever seen (I suspect they had a long trip just to get TO PP--he buys a lot of his birds from cross border hatcheries), I've had NO losses from the chicks I've bought from him. ALL have always arrived healthy and thrifty except the Spitz.

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:55 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST The birds at PP are almost all 'wild-type'/partridge colour, that lay green eggs, and cannot be called Ameraucana as partridge is not a recognized APA colour and the standard calls for blue eggs (I believe). Many also have green legs, which speaks to something else in there, likely sexlink, to increase laying ability. Amers must have slate or black legs. PP birds are all Easter Eggers. Some people would say, "well, if you cross a buff Orpington with a black Orpington, the chicks are still Orpingtons", which is true (though not to my own mind), but it's comparing apples to oranges. With Ameraucanas, they are a relatively young breed, and different breeds went into creating the different accepted colours, so there isn't a clear, across the board "Ameraucana gene". Even keeping colours separated, throwbacks still happen, and serious breeders are working very hard to get their birds sorted to where they will breed true without a load of effort...these breeders will sometimes take great offense at a black EE with colour leakage (for example) being called Ameraucana, because they often see it as a money grab, taking away from their years of hard work when there's still so much work to do. So much in fact, that many starry-eyed breeders give up, especially when they discover how hard it is (and getting harder) to find unadulterated stock.
The bird they use for a picture on the PP website is a silver, which IS a recognized colour, but I've yet to see any EE chicks from there that were a recognized colour. That said, PPs EEs are perfectly fine backyard chickens if you'd like some green eggs. Just don't call an Orange an Apple in the wrong company, because some of the more, erm, passionate Ameraucana officionados will rip your head off and poop down your neck :o
thanks for the ameraucana discourse i never knew it was so heated.. but it's understandable why
what is the desired weight of an ameraucana? i see photos online of ameraucanas and EE ranging from standard almost RIR size to tiny bantamy birds. is there an agreed upon size in ameraucana breeders? where do performance poultry birds fall in comparison

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 am

If I get a chance today I'll try and take a few pics of the ones I have from PP.
One is white, no muff or beard the other is a lighter red-brown with slight muffs. Both have willow legs and lay blue-green eggs. EE's I'd say but nice birds and they were healthy when we got them. We got 5 sexed pullets and they were all pullets. Got rid of several last year downsizing and a neighbours dog killed one so only the 2 left.

I've gotten quite a few different breeds from them over the last 4 years and always had healthy chicks even the 5 straight run spitzhaubens that all turned out to be boys! Also got welsummers, hamburgs (blue, gold spangled, silver pencilled), light Sussex, Silver Dorkings, Russian orloffs.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 am

Easter Eggers from him. I asked him once. He said they lay blue & green eggs and I'm calling them Ameraucana. They aren't. Legs aren't slate, plus other non-Ameraucana traits. By all standards they are EE's. Pls buy knowing this.

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:28 am

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Easter Eggers from him. I asked him once. He said they lay blue & green eggs and I'm calling them Ameraucana. They aren't. Legs aren't slate, plus other non-Ameraucana traits. By all standards they are EE's. Pls buy knowing this.
kind of disappointed he wouldn't be transparent about it and just call them EEs. i'm just buying backyard birds so it's not a huge deal personally, but i could see it being a problem for a more serious enthusiast :/

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Microraptor wrote:QR_BBPOST
Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Easter Eggers from him. I asked him once. He said they lay blue & green eggs and I'm calling them Ameraucana. They aren't. Legs aren't slate, plus other non-Ameraucana traits. By all standards they are EE's. Pls buy knowing this.
kind of disappointed he wouldn't be transparent about it and just call them EEs. i'm just buying backyard birds so it's not a huge deal personally, but i could see it being a problem for a more serious enthusiast :/
Yup, poop happens. But as long as you go in knowing, then you are covered. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:40 pm

There is a standard of perfection for ameraucanas-they must be muffed, bearded, slate or black legs, and only particular colours are recognized. Blue eggs....etc etc and they must breed true-that is the kids are same as parents..... Easter eggers are any bird that lays not white and not brown eggs. Basically. There is no sop for easter eggers...its basically is a catch all name for birds that lay coloured eggs that do not fit the sop for ameraucana (or any of the other sop'd coloured layers like araucona etc).

Pp sells easter eggers.....its too bad that he calls them ameraucanas, since its easy to mislead people....
personally i find ees are better layers of larger sized eggs than ameraucanas, and i breed both ameraucanas and easter eggers....
but the ameraucanas i have are super friendly-plus i love the blue wheaten look lol

A lot of people sell easter eggers as americanas (spelled differently with the i in the middle) just to add to the apparent confusion out there.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm

The real issue is if a birds called an ameraucana it sells better than an easter egger.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”