Performance Poultry ameraucanas/easter eggers

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 pm

There are both standard and bantam sized Ameraucanas, and their weights should be Roosters 6.5 lbs, hens 5.5 lbs, and for bantams, roosters 30 oz (1.9 lbs), hens 26 oz 1.6 lbs). There's wiggle room for birds less than a year old, and nobody will yell at you if your birds are heavier than that, because keeping size up is one of the inherent problems with this breed, so oversized birds are kind of seen as unicorns lol. EEs can be any size, but the PP EEs I've seen tend to be smaller than Ameraucana standard, somewhere between production brown egg layer size and standard. A nice two person sized chicken if you plan to eat any. And, the EEs do tend to lay more and larger eggs.
Last edited by windwalkingwolf on Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Agree with Kenya. It's a frustrating loop the true breeders get caught in.
And its a disregard and disrespect for those who breed Ameraucanas and should be paid accordingly.

I had EE's last summer. Joyous bunch of gals and fantastic at free ranging, putting themselves to bed and so so friendly!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:21 pm

While we are on the EE subject, does anyone know of a breed that lays black eggs?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST While we are on the EE subject, does anyone know of a breed that lays black eggs?
As far as I know there are no chicken breeds that lay black eggs.

If you want blackish eggs try cayuga ducks (grey/blackish eggs) or emu (dark greenish eggs).
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Microraptor » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST While we are on the EE subject, does anyone know of a breed that lays black eggs?
there's misinformation going around online that ayam cemani lay black eggs when in reality theyre tinted
i believe the darkest eggs are marans, you could try looking for a strain with especially dark layers. alternatively, what would happen if you fed a hen black food colouring...... :rubbingchin:
chicken artist :rooster7:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:35 am

Purple poop :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:00 pm

I have some Marans, and a nice coloured egg basket. Just wondering if I am missing anything. I have heard Pendesenca are darker than Marans. But they are not easy to find. Also the split comb would probably be not the best in our climate.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Xox-Zip-xoX
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Xox-Zip-xoX » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Microraptor wrote:i placed an order this year for PP's ameraucana, i was curious and asked what colour they carried to which jason replied their flock is mixed.
so i'm curious, anyone here have pp ameraucanas and what are they like? are there certain colours that definitely are or arent in their breeding flock?
i also heard theirs arent technically ameraucana but easter eggers, whats the exact difference?

on the topic of performance poultry, how good is their sexing accuracy and mortality rate of chicks when not air delivered? i am driving to pick up, my hatch date is april 28-29 :dance:
I bought 6 "Ameraucanas" from PP last year. Ours are pretty docile, nice chickens. They don't like really like being touched or picked up, but will come for treats or just to eat from my hand.

Last year was our first time ordering from PP so I don't have much experience with them to speak on, but with our last order we didn't have any issues with mortality. We did lose 2 'of the Easter Eggers and 3 Sebrights, but that was at no fault of Performance Poultry (overlooked opening in the enclosure they were in.)

Their sexing wasn't as accurate as other places we've ordered from, in our experience. Out of 5 supposed hens 1 grew up to be a rooster.

Here's a picture of the three hens we have, not the best photo and they're looking a bit rough at the moment, but you should be able to get an idea of their coloration.

The rooster

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Microraptor wrote:QR_BBPOST
there's misinformation going around online that ayam cemani lay black eggs when in reality theyre tinted
i believe the darkest eggs are marans, you could try looking for a strain with especially dark layers. alternatively, what would happen if you fed a hen black food colouring...... :rubbingchin:
Ya I wish ayam cemani laid black eggs that would be sweet!! But as stated just slightly tinted. Two of my cemani eggs plus cream legbars and 1 leghorn egg.
Ayam eggs Feb 1 wt 37 and 41 g.jpg
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:32 am

Xox-those are definitely easter eggers BUT in the USA there are a group of folks working on a black gold ameraucana project-trying to get those birds to be recognized by the APA in the near future. I had a small flock of them a couple years back, great foragers. I raised mine by crossing a black breasted red with a mixed flock and keeping the black golds...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”