Lacing in Dark Cornish

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Lacing in Dark Cornish

Post by clawton » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:52 am

Was wondering if anyone here has some tips on what to look for in Dark Cornish roosters to improve lacing in the hens ?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Lacing in Dark Cornish

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Lacing. LOL.

With the darker birds if you can get them into good sunlight quite often you can see the rimming of the lacing as a slightly different dark on the dark of the feather. You may only see a slight line, or the entire edge will be slightly different in colour. these are the males that you want to breed to get the lacing in the females. If your males are not as laced as you would like, remember that traits tend to pass mom to son and dad to daughter, so take your BEST female with your male and then keep the male offspring and assess, they will probably have better lacing than dad. then you can back breed to the mom (son over mom) and even it out between the males and females for your next generation. OR put one of the male kids with another good laced hen/pullet that isn't related.....this should even it out....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Lacing in Dark Cornish

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Lacing is kinda weird, my Sebright rooster was sterile so I bred my hen to my silver laced Wyandott rooster and the chicks came out black when adult . Bred one chick back to mother and half the chicks were black and half silver laced. Then I gave up because I couldn't get a male Sebright and after I sold the hen, every sale I went to had beautiful Sebright roosters, d'oh!!!

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”