Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:09 pm

Aye, in december I get pulled around by reindeer and deliver gifts; in spring I move eggs around. Only difference; nobody sits on my lap. Actually the whole santa thing leaves me mixed: all these kids indoctrinated into a world of consumer crap. Except the one little girl that asked for peace and food for everyone: i melted into a puddle right there.

Good hatching to one and all!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

gubi
Newly Hatched Chick

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by gubi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:11 pm

After an incredibly fun and educational first seminar on Basque Roosters, the North American Basque Hen Association (NABHA) is very excited to announce our second collaborative on-line seminar on Friday, March 18th. This seminar will help us pick out the strengths and weaknesses of our Basque hens and pullets and, with the Rooster Seminar already complete, leave us all well prepared for breeding season! Balancing out the strengths and weaknesses of our boys and girls presents the best opportunity to see improvement in the next generation of our Basques.
All NABHA members are invited to submit pictures of up to three (3) hens and/or pullets they would like to discuss a fantastic opportunity to get some additional eyes on your birds to help evaluate them. We had a tremendous response to the Rooster Seminar with 16 birds to evaluate and felt limiting the number of girls each member could submit to a maximum of three (3) would help ensure time to properly discuss all the entries. Pictures will be organized so that your girls are presented and compared to each other as we also found members receive the most value with this format.
The April 2015 proposed Standard of Perfection as posted on the NABHA website will be used as the basis for evaluation and discussion: http://nabha.weebly.com/standard-of-perfection.html To be clear, this is not a show, a seminar on photography, or an exhibition on coop cleaning; it is a cooperative effort to further our beloved Basques. We are not looking to find the best bird. We are looking to help all of our members evaluate their birds, and to help all of us better understand Basques as a breed.
To get the most out of the seminar, please send in four (4) pictures of each hen or pullet you want to discuss. The four pictures should include a side-view of the whole bird (profile), a shot from the front (to evaluate breast width), a shot from the top (to evaluate back width), and a close-up of the head (profile). You will find sample pictures in the Rooster Seminar invitation: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=2124
Although it can be tricky to get good shots of individual Basques because they are so nosy, the clearer and more close-up the pictures, the better the feedback will be. We recommend you remove the hen or pullet from the flock for the photoshoot to avoid unwanted photobombing and to minimize background distractions.
The seminar will take place on Friday, March 18th at 8:30pm Atlantic time, 7:30pm Eastern time, 6:30pm Central time, 5:30pm Mountain time and 4:30pm Pacific time. To allow our seminar organizer enough time to label and arrange the photos, please email them to: basquehenassociation@gmail.com no later than 5pm Eastern time on Thursday,March 17th. All members, regardless of whether they send in photos, are invited to attend but are asked to reply to this invitation by email no later than Thursday, March 17th, so that we can send you the information needed to attend the seminar.
Please send the four photos for each pullet or hen as one email and send the next four photos in a separate email up to the maximum of three entries. Include in the email the name of the hen or pullet, or some other identifier. The name or identifier you send the entry in under will be used to label your entry pictures during the seminar.
The online program we will use for the seminar is so easy to use that anybody with a computer and internet connection can manage it. Our success during the Basque Rooster Seminar with all members who wished to participate being able to enjoy the seminar with no technical difficulties getting in the way speaks for itself! The simple program called JoinMe allows us to all see the same picture at the same time and speak via conference call. This is not a video conference so only your birds, not you, will be seen on the screen! For audio you can use your computer or can call in using your phone (long distance charges within your country may apply). More details on how to connect will be included in the confirmation email – for now, just get snapping those photos!
Not a NABHA member yet? No problem! Just click on the link below to become a member and be eligible to join us for the seminar – we are glad to have you! http://nabha.weebly.com/join-nabha.html And, if you do have any questions about the seminar or about NABHA in general, please email us at any time: BasqueHenAssociation@gmail.com

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 am

Ok so Cockerels or Pullets? they are exactly 3 weeks old. First two are the same chick and the last two are the other one.
Attachments
P4210617.JPG
P4210615.JPG
P4210616.JPG
P4210622.jpg

Flat Rock Farm

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:35 pm

You have a pair there Jocelyn :wink: :yippie:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat May 07, 2016 4:18 pm

I know zero about this breed, so from what I am seeing, are the hens orange-ish while the males are barred-orange? Certainly nice looking birds people.

Flat Rock Farm

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat May 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi Skinny rooster, yes the hens are a honey/gold and the roosters are a Red Cuckoo. Amazing friendly, curious breed. LOVE them!!
Attachments
IMG_1856 (1024x768).jpg

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sun May 08, 2016 11:13 am

I have some hatching as we speak!

Flat Rock Farm

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun May 08, 2016 11:18 am

That's awesome Jocelyn!!! :banana: Hope you have better hatch this time :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sun May 08, 2016 11:21 am

So far of the 16 that made it to lockdown 8 have hatched and 2 more have pips, today is day 22. I was really worried because the air sacs were not good from first candling on. I am over the moon happy Flat Rock Farm, you are an amazing enabler.

Flat Rock Farm

Basque Hen/ Euskal Oiloa

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun May 08, 2016 12:51 pm

That's wonderful!!! :stars:

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”