blue egg silkie: its here

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:34 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Blue egg silkie: yep its a legit project. So a poultry friend, Trevor, is working on it. Ameraucana x silkie created a hen that laid a "bigger than silkie" egg and a decent blue but feathering was not good "silkie type". So these hens were bred back to a silkie roo and they have 20 young pullets (Trevor is a butcher so young cockerals are quickly turned into kebabs) that are silkie feathered (i didn't ask if he was shooting for a specific feather colour) and these will be evaluated for blue egg (they should lay in sept) before further breeding or being sold. So bug me in autumn or ask Trevor yourself as he and Lisa run the Renfrew Buy/Sell/Trade events. Oh, and Lisa deserves equal credit for this project (knowing women: she probably deserves more of the credit). I got the full story of this project today.
So the next generation of silkies has 9 pullets: 1 laying pink eggs, 7 lay blue eggs, and 1 a white egg. They are otherwise silkies for look, size, and shape, (i still didn't ask about a feather colour) so Poultryprincess, stay tuned for when and where something is for sale.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 pm

How neat!! I think I would be interested too :hide:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:26 pm

That sounds cool, I love blue eggs, no silkies for me though. lol
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:43 am

Yeah love those blue eggs!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 am

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST That sounds cool, I love blue eggs, no silkies for me though. lol
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:55 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST
baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Blue egg silkie: yep its a legit project. So a poultry friend, Trevor, is working on it. Ameraucana x silkie created a hen that laid a "bigger than silkie" egg and a decent blue but feathering was not good "silkie type". So these hens were bred back to a silkie roo and they have 20 young pullets (Trevor is a butcher so young cockerals are quickly turned into kebabs) that are silkie feathered (i didn't ask if he was shooting for a specific feather colour) and these will be evaluated for blue egg (they should lay in sept) before further breeding or being sold. So bug me in autumn or ask Trevor yourself as he and Lisa run the Renfrew Buy/Sell/Trade events. Oh, and Lisa deserves equal credit for this project (knowing women: she probably deserves more of the credit). I got the full story of this project today.
So the next generation of silkies has 9 pullets: 1 laying pink eggs, 7 lay blue eggs, and 1 a white egg. They are otherwise silkies for look, size, and shape, (i still didn't ask about a feather colour) so Poultryprincess, stay tuned for when and where something is for sale.
I'm watching you.....& I'm veri Interested....& I am Excited by the progress!!!!
( don't care about the feather color, but also interested in Pink eggs ~ just sayin' :yay: )
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:47 am

Now if you could get the hens to lay blue eggs that hatched males and pink eggs that hatched females you'd be made!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”