Ameraucana - combs

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Ameraucana - combs

Post by Shnookie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 pm

I got two different styles of comb in the chicks from my splash hen. Which is the preferred style? I read the description in the SOP book, and I still don't know.

The darkest one has a comb that sticks up a fair bit. The lighter ones have flatter ones with a different shape, at least for now. The lighter ones are maturing a bit slower.

Maximus

Ameraucana - combs

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:04 pm

They sure are pretty!!!
That's all I know :)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Ameraucana - combs

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:22 am

Neat and tidy. A row of small 'peas' on either side of the main blade, rather than a stick-y up-y leaf on either side. The taller combs look messy and tend to flop over as the fella gets older. But with that taller comb on the dark bird, if it gets no bigger than that, I would call it good. Also, if you look at a bird from the side, and draw an imaginary line straight up from the center of his eye, the back of the comb should be right there, no further back...it looks like the leafy combed fella's comb stops where it should, but he's also VERY young, so only time will tell.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Ameraucana - combs

Post by Shnookie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks. Your description helps. The taller style of comb is similar to the rooster's (the black one I posted for a critique), and the flatter ones are more like the hen's. At this point I am going to keep the darker one to see how he matures.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Ameraucana - combs

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:52 am

The "leafy" comb as Jan so aptly described, is an indication of a single comb influence, it will get larger as the bird matures and he will pass it on.
The TYPE is really the number one concern and Temperament second, everything else should come after that.
Color is difficult to judge on the computer screen, but if the parents are Black over Splash, you have done an outcross, since each color Black, Blue and Splash are a separate variety and should be bread separately.

I broke that rule this year, as I wanted to hatch a bunch of Black pullets so Crossed Blue over Black, colossal mistake because of course I got 1 Black pullet and 5 black cockerels.
But that kind of outcross brings with it some pitfalls and lots of culling has to follow.
One of them is a "dark blue" with almost a brownish tone, which isn't really dark blue it's more of a very dilute black.
I have already got my Blue keeper separate so couldn't take pictures of them beside each other
This is the "brownish Blue" cockerel, although very good comb, heading for the freezer...
Sample 1.jpg
This is the "cool Blue" cockerel, kept back to see how he fills out at 5 month....
Sample 2.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Ameraucana - combs

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:04 pm

the comb on the second from the left is a bit on the large size i think-with my limited experience.....the others look amazing though!
OC raises a very important point for serious breeding about the outcrossings. well said!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Ameraucana - combs

Post by Shnookie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:33 pm

One of the blue ones in my picture, that has a flatter comb, actually has small points like a single comb in the middle. The other two only have small bumps.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”