Question Calling Rhodebar breeders...

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Calling Rhodebar breeders...

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Are rhodebars sex linked at hatch? I thought they were a hybrid, so are they an actual breed now? They sure are nice looking birds.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Rhodebars are sexable at hatch, the boys have a pronounced head spot. There are 2 different "types" however, the british rhodebar (like the ones i am also working on) tend to be on the E-wheaten E locus, so that they are burnt orange looking with the lighter head dot on the boys. The american rhodebars (like those from greenfire etc) are on the e+/e+ locus, and are chipmunk striped chicks with a head dot on the boys. boys are lighter than the girls.
While some people maintain that you cannot see a head dot on the wheaten based chicks I can comment that I can on mine, easily....The wheaten based birds are on the heritage rhode island background, while the e+ are based on the more production rhode island red type bird. There is a slight difference in size and type, and of course the red barring-tends to reddish in the e+ and more mahogany-ish in the Ewh ones.
Yes, they are an actual breed, and should breed true.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:13 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST There are 2 different "types" however, the british rhodebar (like the ones i am also working on).....
I'd love to get my paws on some of your Ewh as well as welbars. Will you be selling chicks or eggs?
Raising BLRW, Rhodebar, CCLegbar & bantam choc Orpington. Keeping various other lovelies just for kicks.

Satellite
On the Roost

Post by Satellite » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:48 am

Beautiful colours

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:59 am

MuskokaMaiden wrote:QR_BBPOST
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST There are 2 different "types" however, the british rhodebar (like the ones i am also working on).....
I'd love to get my paws on some of your Ewh as well as welbars. Will you be selling chicks or eggs?
i am still working on them, they're not breeding quite true yet....but hopefully by this time next year i will have some birds for sale :-)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”