Question Calling Rhodebar breeders...

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Calling Rhodebar breeders...

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:48 am

Sooo, I introduced Rhodebars this year & really like them but, of course, the time to choose breeding stock is here. I am hoping one of you experts can advise. I am in contact with the breeder & have the SOP but am fishing for personal experience too.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:32 am

If you have photos...i have been breeding rhidebars from the parent breeds to establish new blood and can maybe lend some help/advice/whatever...?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Oh well crap, you'd think I'd have already done that but noooo, makes way too much sense. I'll work on pics. To be honest, I find that I tell them apart more by size & personality esp as free-rangers.
Raising BLRW, Rhodebar, CCLegbar & bantam choc Orpington. Keeping various other lovelies just for kicks.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:03 pm

When I've asked to have my chickens evaluated, to help them judge the breed experts have asked for a top view that shows the width of the head and back and tail area, a level chest view, a level sideways view, and a level back view and a good close up head shot.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 pm

With the rhodebars in ontario too they need work on colour....and size some of them...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:08 pm

I thought I'd uploaded pics...here it goes again:

Pics 1 & 2 - contender A

Pic 3 - contender B

It's between these two fellas...they are very close in size (the others were diminutive).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:53 pm

You cant keep them both?
Contender b has the better tail colour. Contender a has the better barring....and the more even colour i think. Both are double barred which is great, but both are going to be quite light in the red department (but i am biased to the european rhodebar with lots of mahogany as opposed to the american rhodebar built off production RIRs). B has the better shape while A has better legs i think...of course they are still young....if you have room to keep them both i would, reassess at 8 months old and then put girls with best form with A and best colour with B....

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST You cant keep them both?
Contender b has the better tail colour. Contender a has the better barring....and the more even colour i think. Both are double barred which is great, but both are going to be quite light in the red department (but i am biased to the european rhodebar with lots of mahogany as opposed to the american rhodebar built off production RIRs). B has the better shape while A has better legs i think...of course they are still young....if you have room to keep them both i would, reassess at 8 months old and then put girls with best form with A and best colour with B....
Ya, I pulled my cull choices last night in prep for my friend & handy-dandy dispatcher. Surprisingly enough I was such a good girl that there's room for both (& an extra bantam choc orp too).
Thank you so much for you observations & time. I was leaning towards B myself. Unfortunately the pics are in different light (& quality?) making a comparison more tricky but, based on what you've said, I'm not far off. Your insight is much appreciated
Raising BLRW, Rhodebar, CCLegbar & bantam choc Orpington. Keeping various other lovelies just for kicks.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:38 am

From what others have told me, after 8 weeks, the leaders in size will tend to remain the leaders, so it's fairly safe to cull the smallest at 8 weeks. But the longer you can wait to cull the better, there's a big difference between a 6 month and an 8 month old cockerel, you'll be amazed. Don't forget to select for temperament too.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST From what others have told me, after 8 weeks, the leaders in size will tend to remain the leaders, so it's fairly safe to cull the smallest at 8 weeks. But the longer you can wait to cull the better, there's a big difference between a 6 month and an 8 month old cockerel, you'll be amazed. Don't forget to select for temperament too.
Oh for sure...they'll be 12 weeks tomorrow & so far everything you say is true. Ya know, they are a new favourite partly because they are so dang sweet...kinda remind me of speckled Sussex in the temperament department. I'm really diggin them & can't wait to see what kinda layers they are.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”