Ameraucanas?

Homesteading.newb
Newly Hatched Chick

Ameraucanas?

Post by Homesteading.newb » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Ameracuanas? Or ee? I did get a blue egg. Thank you kindly.
Attachments
IMG_20160614_124347.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Ameraucanas?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:48 pm

This is for comparison,
Black Ameraucana hens - mine
Am 2.jpg
Black Ameraucana rooster from ABC website
Am Black rooster from ABC.jpg
Am Black rooster from ABC.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

Maximus

Ameraucanas?

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Don't they need muffs? I don't see muffs on one of them. Easter Eggers can lay blue eggs too :)

I got 'Ameraucana's' and I've learned a very valuable lesson. Unless I get them from a breeder or OC, they are EE's

Beautiful birds though :)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Ameraucanas?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Here is a better picture of a hen, Type and muffs and beard are very important color of egg doesn't really signify the breed so much, although it helps :)
Am Black hen.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Ameraucanas?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Don't they need muffs? I don't see muffs on one of them. Easter Eggers can lay blue eggs too :)

I got 'Ameraucana's' and I've learned a very valuable lesson. Unless I get them from a breeder or OC, they are EE's

Now lets not pick on me, I am happy to admit I have produced some real doozies, if I say so myself. :)
I actually see more right then wrong with that pair, something off with the male comb, but if the hen has a bit of extra skin under her beak, it's possible her muffs and beard have been picked off by her friendly coop - mates.

Maximus

Ameraucanas?

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Pick on you? No way! Compliment!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Ameraucanas?

Post by kenya » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Those are EE, no muffs, weird comb, wrong body shape. Nothing wrong with Ee's though, there are some beautiful Easter eggers out there, and I love the different variety of colours available whereas with the ameraucana you have to stick to the standard of approved colours, which does limit you. PS love the purple sheen on those birds!

Homesteading.newb
Newly Hatched Chick

Ameraucanas?

Post by Homesteading.newb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 am

I am very new to raising chickens (3 weeks) and am very thankful for your input. Their particular breed isn't much of a matter to me. Just wanting to educate myself so i know what they are. They adjusted to my existing small flock of 5 quite well.

Homesteading.newb
Newly Hatched Chick

Ameraucanas?

Post by Homesteading.newb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:16 am

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Don't they need muffs? I don't see muffs on one of them. Easter Eggers can lay blue eggs too :)

Now lets not pick on me, I am happy to admit I have produced some real doozies, if I say so myself. :)
I actually see more right then wrong with that pair, something off with the male comb, but if the hen has a bit of extra skin under her beak, it's possible her muffs and beard have been picked off by her friendly coop - mates.

I am a bit confuse. I was told they were both hens. Are you say one is a roo??? I havent heard any crowing...

Maximus

Ameraucanas?

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:21 am

I didn't say that OC did ... I think she is saying one is a Roo. Don't you love sexing chickens. sorry, I'm giggling because I have been there and I'm here again

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”