What breed is he?

Nome89
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

What breed is he?

Post by Nome89 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Can anyone tell me what breed this guy is.. long story short I was told he was an americauna without seeing him and my grandfather dropped him off.. I have a suspicion he is an EE...
Thanks!
P.s for some reason the pic is showing upside down but if you click on it it goes the right way..
Attachments
Jim
Jim

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

What breed is he?

Post by Jaye » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:43 pm

EE, but still a beautiful bird. His legs are the wrong colour (should be slate, not yellow), he has a big single comb (Ameraucanas should have small pea combs) ...
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

What breed is he?

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:51 pm

He looks half ee half something else....which i guess is technically an ee
He is pretty! Oh sorry-handsome!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

What breed is he?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Definitely not an Ameraucana, and not an EE either, unless he's a Legbar mix, which judging by his hen-pecked beard and muffs, he isn't. One of his parents was likely EE, the other something with a large single comb. Since he also has a single comb, he will father brown or white layers.

Nome89
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

What breed is he?

Post by Nome89 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for everyones replys!.... I was hoping you wouldnt say he would father white or brown egg layers... guess I'll keep looking for a blue egg father!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

What breed is he?

Post by Jaye » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:51 pm

This forum is a very good place to look for a blue egg father. There are several reputable Ameraucana breeders that are members on this forum. Whereabouts are you located? I know of one breeder in particular in SE Ontario.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Nome89
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

What breed is he?

Post by Nome89 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 pm

I am located just South of Sarnia... I haven't had any luck finding any down here.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

What breed is he?

Post by thegawd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi Nome, im south of sarnia myself. I thought about breeding Ameraucanas but decided not to, I do have a few hens but no roosters. there are a few great breeders on here though. have you checked the classifieds? if you go up to the top left and click on home it will bring you to our homepage. here you can find the classifieds, breeders directory and some other great links.

have a good one!

:beer:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

What breed is he?

Post by Robbie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:32 pm

To me he looks like he has a leaf comb- which is a single bladed, shallow pointed (or whatever you call the pointy parts of a single comb) half pea/half single comb cross. Pea comb genetics are weird, this rooster could still throw some pea combed chicks when crossed with single combed hens.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Nome89
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

What breed is he?

Post by Nome89 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 am

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST Hi Nome, im south of sarnia myself. I thought about breeding Ameraucanas but decided not to, I do have a few hens but no roosters. there are a few great breeders on here though. have you checked the classifieds? if you go up to the top left and click on home it will bring you to our homepage. here you can find the classifieds, breeders directory and some other great links.

have a good one!

:beer:
I checked the classifieds and didnt find anything but I will keep looking.... I'll also check the breeder directory.
Im just kind of starting out so Im in no hurry.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”