Ameraucana - Is There An Easy Way To Sex?

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:17 am

Is there any easy way to sex Ameraucana chicks young?

I think it was mentioned to me when they feather out that the wings will go first? Did I recall correctly? i want to pick up some leg bands tomorrow so I can put it on the ones I think are males.

I have a few birds that look like a hot mess with their new feathers coming in but it's around their necks and backs first.
Also, I have a few different age groups.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:43 am

At least with Buckeyes, the females will feather out faster than the males. The females will grow wing feathers and tails much faster than the males, most of the time. But It's not a sure thing, and size of the chick is not an indication of sex. I don't know if this is true for other breeds but I believe it is for some, not sure about Ameraucanas.
Sometimes you have to wait for pointy saddle and hackle feathers and crowing!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:04 am

They are one of the hardest to sex, I usually wait until the saddle and hackle feathers start to show or as Robbie said .........crow!! :flight attendend:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:09 am

Saddle and hackle feathers. Hmmm. Not a familiar term. Look out Google here I come!

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:12 am

Saddles feather on cockerels/rooster are the long pointy feathers that grow at the back by the tail. Also the neck (hackle) feathers grow the same and have long tapered points at the end. :wink:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 am

Ha! Thanks FRF. Figured that's what it was, and confirmed it on google and you confirmed as well.

Cheers

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:32 am

So my other question. Can a mature rooster sense a cockerel? Will his treatment of young cockerels be different than that of a pullet?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:45 am

Normally he wont diddlem.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:30 am

If they are wheaten ameraucanas the wings will get a black bar on them while the girls wing stays brownish wheaten colour. I have had them for years and get about 65% correct because they can masquerade for a while....saddle and hackle and egg laying or crowing are sure signs lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 am

The roosters will get a bigger comb and will redden up quicker then the pullets but it will still take 3 or 4 months before they do this but it is noticeable.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”