Rhode Island Red - Standard Bred

BobG
On the Roost

Rhode Island Red - Non Industrial

Post by BobG » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:49 pm

WLLady, The colour is not bad, could just be the photo angle but your cockbird needs more length in the back . The topline of a Red should be flat and long . The top breeders always use the term brick shape when describing the type .
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks BobG. He is a bit short. He is only 1 year old right now-but probably won't change much. Hopfully I can right that with some new blood from Als birds. ;-P
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:40 pm

I was thinking pretty much what Bob said but I was wondering if it was the camera angle? pics can be so hard to judge eh! I find myself taking like 100 pics on the sport setting then find the good ones HAHA. I found that was the only way to avoid blurring chickens especially since they think im chasing them all over LOL.

you've been looking for that infusion of new blood for a while and I'm really glad i was able to hook you up!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JBeard
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by JBeard » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Al ask Darren Smale from St Mary's he has some of the best RIR bantams around.
For sure he does. I'd also look at Shane Cramp I. hillsdale. He doesn't show a lot. But has very good birds to the std. 2 b poultry

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 am

well here are all the other photos i managed to get.....the colour on them is awful because of the sunlight behind them-those sunlights are great for the birds, but crappy for taking photos LOL. I still think he's a bit short, he is a nice heavy bird, unfortunately one point on his comb is frostbit, sigh, but that won't affect his genes....hopefully you can see his shape-probably the top pic (all washed out one) is the best for the shape of him....i have to empty some memory on my phone before i snap another 100 photos LOL. i'll try maybe tonight if the battery isn't all worn out by then. Thanks for the feedback! i really appreciate it! Al, your eggs are perking right now! :banana:
20160419_185452_resized.jpg
20160419_185449_resized.jpg
20160419_185430_resized_1.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:25 am

im not good at critiquing at all... LOL. im way to new at this. BobG has helped me out a TONNE! Thanks Man!

but the back should be flat for about 7" on the roosters and 8.5" on the hens I believe with a 10% rise in the tail. iv been trying to find some good drawings or silhouettes but hmm... cant really.

ohhhh heres a rose comb cockeral.

and heres a Pullet.

Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:53 am

Well, he might not be that far off after all....he's a bit shorter than the girls. and seems whenever i'm taking photos he's actively on alert watching me with his tail right up, or running away from me with it up or down LOL. wonder what he would do to a tape measure...hm....

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:57 am

[quote="thegawd"]QR_BBPOST I was thinking pretty much what Bob said but I was wondering if it was the camera angle? pics can be so hard to judge eh! I find myself taking like 100 pics on the sport setting then find the good ones HAHA. I found that was the only way to avoid blurring chickens especially since they think im chasing them all over LOL.

Al your gonna have to purchase or build a set of show /training cages to settle your birds for shows & get better eye level looks / pics of them . Nothin worse than a bird goin nuts when being judged . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:03 am

LOL Kathy! you should record the tape measuring haha.

I actually do have a pair side by side show cages Ross, old n a bit rusty but still intact. just needs a shinning.

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 am

LOL. i might need martin to film it, and then depending on the medical attention needed after, maybe dial 9-1-and hold his finger over the 1....lol. Thankfully i don't intend on showing any time soon, i just want to develop good SOP birds-because i have NO show cages. and i also have zero intention to bathe any chickens-although i guess if i want to get my master breeder endorsement i will need to show at some point huh?

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”