Buckeyes- first show of the season

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST :congrats:
Thats a really great acomplishment with a young bird, so we expect you will clean up by November. :coolguy:
I am really excited to see what develops in November. I have another 12 Cockerels growing just a nice. Breed section time is going to be difficult. And the pullets are looking real good as well!

Keeping fingers crossed everything keeps growing and adding weight....American Class around here has extremely beautiful stock. Great Competition and Great Breeders!
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by shaded » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:09 pm

la-chicken wrote:QR_BBPOST
shaded wrote:QR_BBPOST nice work la-chicken!
I am concentrating on breadth this year for my stock. I have good low pea combs and yellow legs so Ethan's last suggestions for me were to concentrate on length & breadth of body frame.
Adding some of Lay stock a few years back helped a lot.
But, DO NOT over look the skull width! Wide skulls create wide bodies. The skull is the power house to the whole bird.
Wider skull= wider body. You will never get large frame birds with a narrow skull.
But, you need to look at the Buckeye and make sure it is balanced. Longer back and wider girth can create a non-balanced bird. And that can never work.
I have found with breeding Buckeyes you need to consider the whole bird. And conditioning and feed is extremely important.
yes same as the dark cornish :)
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Here is his photo booth picture!
Attachments
Show picture- 2016
Show picture- 2016
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm

:congrats: Crystal!!! :smilewithrooster:

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”