Ivermectin

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Ivermectin

Post by ross » Thu May 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Has to be food grade . I use it on horses , goats , dogs , turkeys , pigeons etc .... I put that poope on everything ... If u get my drift .lol Welcome Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 pm

I haven't tried ivermectin as of yet but I'm looking for an easier way to deal with mites. I'm finding them particularly bad this year and have treated with dust a couple of times over this summer...and just found one of the Cochins with them again. Uggg.
This was new at the feed store the other day-i haven't seen this small bottle before. I think it was $30.00
Would I still use this externally? It's an oral solution for horses. I didn't purchase it because I wasn't sure if it was the correct product. Thanks for any advice.
IMG_6450.JPG
IMG_6451.JPG

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 pm

The solution seems to be the same 10mg/ml
as in my NOROMECTIN I purchased last spring for $ 16.99 for 50ml
Seems to work just as well as the $ 40 stuff I got few years before that.
Everybody has a different system, I find what works for me, I treat everybody in the fall twice with few drops on a piece of toast few days apart.
If I find any stubborn remnants, I put drops around vent and under wings, doesn't happen very often that its needed, but occasionally there is stubborn one that needs to be done again, otherwise they would be re-poluting rest of the flock.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Thats oral-so give orally.
Pour on ivomec you can drip on their skin. The oral wont work on the skin. And the pour on (drench) wil not work orally.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks ladies. So an oral dose should take care of worms as well? Is it as effective on mites as the pour on?

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:34 am

An oral dose will take care of worms except for tapeworms.....but i have to admit i have never seen a tapeworm case in poultry....they usually get roundworms and ivermectjn will get those.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:51 am

I should have mentioned the Noromectin I use is injectable and systemic, so works on infestation by both internal and external parasites, at least that's the claim on the bottle. :)
Ocasional change to different product helps with cooties that develop resistance to a specific product.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 am

I noticed the pet stores sell squeeze on flea treatments for dogs and cats. I wonder if they could be used to treat mites on chickens. I didn't read the labels. I think the ones I saw were Sargeant's brand.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm

If you do use the drip on flea and tick treatments do NOT eat the eggs!! That stuff gets into the eggs and stays there-they dont know what the withdrawal time is but europe just had to destroy millions of eggs because it was in the eggs and its not safe for people. So if you arent eating or selling eggs, sure....but ....

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm

:iagree:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Health”