Ivermectin

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
HnH Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Ivermectin

Post by HnH Farm » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:59 pm

:new:

I'm looking for information on Ivermectin.
I have lost 3 chickens over the past 6 months, all with different symptoms, so it was suggested that I deworm my flock.

I have gone to the feed store but there is nothing specifically for chickens so it has to be use it off label; but which Ivermectin do you use?

Thanks!

la-chicken
On the Roost

Ivermectin

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:14 pm

I use the pour on Ivomec. Cattle only or the multi breed.
5-7 cc for large fowl.
1/2 a does at base of neck and the other half at the tail base.
I can irritate the skin.
Then will retreat in 14 days.

I treat 2 times a year.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Ivermectin

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I use Ivomec (ivermectin) injectable, I feed 4-6 drops on a small piece of bread to LF
spring and fall.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Ivermectin

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I use Bimectin injectable topically. I part the feathers at the neck and apply drops directly on the skin: 3-4 drops for bantam (my Silkie), 5-6 drops for light breed large fowl (my Euskal Oiloa and Ameraucana) and 7-8 drops for heavy breed large fowl (my Speckled Sussex and my BSL), and retreat in 7-10 days, if using it for mites or lice, to kill off any that may hav ehatched after the initial treatment (Ivermectin doesn't kill off eggs).
ETA: Many people suggest a withdrawal period for egg consumption, anywhere from 10-21 days.
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

HnH Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Ivermectin

Post by HnH Farm » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Thank you very much for all the answers.
I will head to the feed store and get the injectable.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Ivermectin

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:03 pm

I accidentally bought the injectable when I was after pour on. i administer around the same dosage as Jaye, I have it written down in my kit and always re read it before administering but I put it right down the birds throat. I hold there head up and make sure they dont spit it out. if they do spit it out I administer a half a dose immediately.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Ivermectin

Post by Robbie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:12 pm

The worming dose for on-label use of injectable ivermectin is in the 200-300 microgram per kilogram range. Chickens are not on the label. A 1% solution of INJECTABLE ivermectin (Mine is Ivomec) delivers 1 gram Ivermectin per 100 ml of product, = 1000 milligrams per 100 ml, so that's 10 milligrams or 10,000 micrograms of ivermectin per ml of product.

As an example let's take a 3 kg chicken, or 6.6 lbs which is heavier than most egg layers. This 3 kg chicken would need (using the high dose of 300 micrograms per kg) 900 micrograms of ivermectin .
Since a millilitre of straight up 1% injectable Ivomec product contains 10 mg per ml, or 10,000 micrograms per ml of ivermectin you would only need 0.09 ml. Since most people don't have syringes this accurate, and chickens are quite tolerant of ivermectin, rounded up a 0.1 ml dose ingested would be a whopping good amount for this chicken.

Pour on Ivomec is 5 mg (milligrams) ivermectin/ml, the recommended dose for cattle is 1 ml per 22 lbs of body weight. It's not absorbed well through the skin. This would be 0.3 ml poured on to our 3 kg (6.6) lb chicken. Make sure it's poured on where the chicken can't eat it.

Chickens are highly tolerant to ivermectin, they will tolerate up to 5 mg/kg before showing symptoms.

However dogs with the MDR-1 gene deletion (such as collies) are highly susceptible to ivermectin and can die from eating treated /chicken/horse poo. Dogs with this gene deletion should not get more than 50 micrograms/kg body weight, to be safe. Consider that the heartworm preventable chewies are formulated with the safety of these dogs in mind. The heartworm prevention dose is 6-12 micrograms per kg. Which is a miniscule amount of drug, the drug companies should be ashamed of themselves for the gross obscene amount of profit they make on heartworm prevention chewies. I've been diluting down ivermectin for my dogs for decades. Although so many people poisoned their dogs with do-it yourself horse ivermectin wormer, that now I guess the drug of choice is selamectin (e.g. Revolution) which has a wider safety margin for sensitive dogs.

If you have a different generic name for the ivermectin formulation, the concentration may be different. To be safe, it's best to do the math.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Ivermectin

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:42 pm

la-chicken wrote:QR_BBPOST I use the pour on Ivomec. Cattle only or the multi breed.
5-7 cc for large fowl.
I can irritate the skin.

I treat 2 times a year.
Just curious what is the concentration of your pour on Ivomec? 5 to 7 cc (5 to 7 mL) seems like a lot to put on a bird. If it is the 1 mL for 22 pounds of body weight, than how big are your "large fowl"? 7 mL could treat 154 pounds.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

la-chicken
On the Roost

Ivermectin

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST
la-chicken wrote:QR_BBPOST I use the pour on Ivomec. Cattle only or the multi breed.
5-7 cc for large fowl.
I can irritate the skin.

I treat 2 times a year.
Just curious what is the concentration of your pour on Ivomec? 5 to 7 cc (5 to 7 mL) seems like a lot to put on a bird. If it is the 1 mL for 22 pounds of body weight, than how big are your "large fowl"? 7 mL could treat 154 pounds.
SORRY!
How about 0.5-2.5 ml

I was thinking about the sheep..............
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Ivermectin

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 pm

I go with 1.5ml because half the time I just hit the feathers and miss contact with the skin.

Still laughing over my mistake.......I know I have LF but that would be mighty impressive.

Return to “Health”