Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT)--UPDATE

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT)--UPDATE

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:06 am

A friend just sent this to me today. Great. Shes a chicken farmer, and she bought 6 turkeys from me. I hope we didn't share any germs.

FBCC Logo
City of Hamilton

April 1, 2016

On behalf of the four feather boards, the Feather Board Command Centre (FBCC) is issuing an ILT Disease advisory to all poultry producers and small flock growers in the City of Hamilton.

FBCC has been alerted that chicken from an exhibition/small farm flock in the City of Hamilton has tested positive for Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT). The submission came through OMAFRA's small flock surveillance project.

The flock is under treatment and vaccination by a veterinarian. Dead birds have been properly disposed. The owner has been educated on proper biosecurity methods and has self- quarantined their premises.

You are urged to heighten biosecurity measures including monitoring movement onto and off of the farm in the interest of flock health. Please refer to biosecurity material that has previously been provided.

Should you suspect any signs of health concerns in your flock, please contact your veterinarian as well as your Board. ILT is a serious contagious disease caused by a respiratory virus primarily in laying hens and chickens. Signs to look out for would include: increased mortality, noisy breathing, head-shaking, off feed, decreased egg production, inactivity, ruffled feathers and conjunctivitis.

Please alert any visitors to your farm that you have heightened your biosecurity because of this situation and keep a logbook of movement in relation to your farm. Minimize visits to other poultry production sites, avoid exchanging equipment with other poultry production sites or ensure that it is washed and disinfected. Ensure all personnel in contact with birds wear boots, protective suits, head coverings and gloves/handwashing. Ensure adequate control of vermin and wild birds.

We anticipate this heightened status to last until early May. You will be advised when normal biosecurity can be re-established. Any updates will be provided through http://www.fbcc.ca.
Last edited by Bayvistafarm on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT)

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:21 am

Nasty Disease!
I vaccinate for ILT every year. Thou I have never had it on the farm...I do take my birds off and on the farm to poultry show sand exhibits

I have sold some birds that had been vaccinated ( thank goodness) to a person. Some of his other new chickens from another source had ILT but the birds I sold him were not effected.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:35 am

I vaccinate for this too - non-shedding. It's scary.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:26 am

How do you vaccinate for it?
Is this a virus or bacteria?

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:52 am

Unread postby SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016

How do you vaccinate for it?
Is this a virus or bacteria?

Good question
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:14 am

It's a virus:
Bayvistafarm wrote:QR_BBPOST FBCC Logo
City of Hamilton

April 1, 2016

<snip>

ILT is a serious contagious disease caused by a respiratory virus primarily in laying hens and chickens. Signs to look out for would include: increased mortality, noisy breathing, head-shaking, off feed, decreased egg production, inactivity, ruffled feathers and conjunctivitis.<snip>
I have no experience with vaccinating, so can't speak to that, but hopefully someone who does vaccinate their poultry will explain how it's done. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:29 am

I use LT-IVAX- the only size available to me is enough for 1000 birds. This is a vaccine that only has a 2 hrs active life once you mix the 2 vials together.

My neighbour and I plan a night that we can do 2 farms within this 2 hour window.
Once you mix the 2 vials you place a single drop in one eye.
I do not vaccinate until 4-6 months. I only vaccinate breeder stock. not the birds for consumption.
I also pick an older bird because I have never had ILT on the farm. I think the vaccine is too hard on the 4 week stock so I wait a bit and practice a strong bio security.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 am

And once vaccinating is complete. You must burn the contents.
Good excuse for wine drinking and a bon fire.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:11 pm

How do we know this is non-shedding?

Are you vaccinating the birds you eat for meat/eggs or just breeding stock

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:21 pm

For me?
This is my hatching protocol.
Breeding stock: If they are not close to the SOP they are culled....I do not continue to raise for meat.
It costs the same to raise a good bird or a real bad bird.
If they are possible breeders....I will know at the 4-6 months of age.( and these will receive the double dose of ITL)
I am not saying they are ALL breeders. This is when I start my breed selections and consumption selections. But, You need to wait 21 days from vaccination to slaughter date.
That being said: If I know they will be for consumption 100% at this 6 month point...I will not waste my time vaccinating. The birds that are questionable for breeding...I will vaccinate.

Home stock-. I will re-vaccinate during moult time when egg production has slowed to stopped. Then I am not worried about throwing eggs away. I try to time as close as possible to the second dose of the hatchings of this year. But, of course some years I end up paying for more vaccine.

Personally, spending more money on vaccine, out- weighs the possibility of having to destroy my whole flock.

Return to “Health”