Fertilizer prills and chickens

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

I'd like to fertilize our grass, does anyone know if chickens will eat the fertilizer prills? It has got slow release nitrogen in it so it will be around for a long time. I can see how they could mistake the prills for gravel or food. They taste terrible but then chickens eat stryrofoam. If they eat a prill or two to taste it, I'm sure they will be OK but they will be harmful to them if they eat a lot. My chickens have not touched the monkshood (the only plant left standing) which is highly toxic, do they know better, if things taste terrible will they leave them alone? Any thoughts?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 am

YES THEY WILL!!! and it will kill them!!!!!! (from experience)

sold some chickens to someone that had a lawn care company come and spread fertilizer and they all ate so much it actually burnt their crops really badly and every single bird was dead within 48 hours. absolutely awful way to go.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 am

my chickens fertilize the ground here hahaha lush green grass. and yup sometimes they eat it... yuk...

Thats horrible Kathy!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Gawd I have not seen chickens eat their own poop but for sure, the dogs love it. :barf:

WLLady, thanks! I am very glad I asked. I'm sorry about your chickens having suffered :-(
:sFun_mornincoffee:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Good points made...glad I read this..I don't fertilize grass but its always good info...thanks guys
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Health”