My Cornish rooster just dropped dead. :-(

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: My Cornish rooster just dropped dead. :-(

Post by Robbie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:12 pm

BobG wrote:Robbie ,Of all the breeds I have bred over the years Cornish have been the most frustrating !! Keep in mind I bred show stock not hatchery birds, I have bred both large and bantam . Unexplained deaths and poor fertility where normal within the breed . In my own opinion I would breed the hatchery stock for meat projects and stay away from show lines . The show lines are to short legged and to wide to promote good fertility .

BobG, thanks glad to hear it wasn't something I was necessarily doing wrong, if others have had similar experiences. I didn't expect to have the same problems as the exhibition Cornish, (I knew a bit about the fertility issues but I'd never heard the mystery deaths!) Mine are clearly selected for SOP but they weren't as extreme as the super-exhibition Cornish. You're going to laugh but it's their egg qualities I'm after mostly, (great shells) although I do like their stocky meaty look (mine don't have overly short legs though) and I absolutely love their personalities. I never want to be without at least a few Cornish running around!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:51 pm

No Robbie it wasn't heart, some sort of virus. Hmmmm, after reading what BobG said, I am starting to wonder if people are cross breeding Cornish to make them stronger, lately I have noticed the Cornish looking tall and skinny at sales etc, instead of that block shape they're noted for.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:02 pm

I think those tall skinny cornish are what's referred to as hatchery stock.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:15 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses Robbie, WLLady and Skinnyrooster.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:57 am

Okay...just to revive things a little...I've been reading this thread with interest...i want to get some meat birds this spring...yes, even MJ is on board..lol...but i am getting mixed info...the cornish x seems to be problematic from the high mortality along the way and some people are mitigating the losses with various methods, i.e. Controlled feeding...others are suggesting dual purpose birds yet i processed some Barred Rock birds at 18 weeks and they were edible but not very meaty...so what are the suggestions/opinions?...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:59 am

Freys slow growth dual purpose is my suggestion.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:17 am

Some people do have luck with the cornish cross, try some and see how you do with them. Nothing else will come close to producing that much meat in such a short time and as economically. Management is tricky,and you may lose some, but my neighbour grew them year after year with great success by free ranging them, and limiting their feed, and raising them early before it got hot.
Or what Sandy said.
You could try Mistral Gris, another hybrid, from True North farm: http://truenorthfarm.ca/mistral-gris/ I am seriously considering trying their welsummer/Sussex crosses for layers.
Or a pure breed: Malines might be worth a look. There are some other European meaty breeds. The naked necks are supposedly one of the best dual purpose breeds and their lack of dense feathers make plucking easier.
Or, what works for some is to maintain two pure heritage varieties (Like Cornish and Dorking or malines or delawares) and cross them for meat chicks. Of course you want very good meat properties in the parent lines, to ensure good chicks.
If you want a smaller carcass the bantam cornish have been recommended by others as a good choice.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:40 am

I cross my Wyandotte rooster over my mutt layers and was getting a 3 - 3 1/2 lb dressed weight at 16/18 weeks. There are only 2 of us so they're perfect. OC gets nice meaty small birds from her wyandottes and ameraucanas.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:00 am

thanks folks...i'll look into it all
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:09 am

Andy TheJonesBoy had 100% success with his meat birds last year. im not sure how he kept them but do whatever he did HAHA! I can get broilers through a buddy of mine and iv never had great success with them. tasty birds though. im not doing them anymore.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Health”