Identifying illness through manure analysis

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:09 pm

She's gone. :rip:
It was quick. I barely had time to call out to hubby for help, before she went. I had just finished feeding her and was trying to clean up her back side again, when she went into convulsions. I am so very sad about all this. She was a wonderful hen.
I need some help knowing how to wrap her up and "store" her until I can get her shipped for necropsy, since it is the Easter long weekend. I am planning to wrap her in a towel, then double plastic bag her and put her in our unheated garage until Monday, since the temps will be below freezing. Is this a good idea?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 pm

:sEm_ImSorry: Im So Sorry Jaye!

I know how much you loved and cared for her. You made her last few days as comfortable as possible. Your a great chicken Momma!

You take care eh!

:hug:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 am

That sounds like the best you can do Jaye. Very sorry to hear this but you did your best to keep her comfy.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 am

I am sorry Jaye. :hug:
You did everything you could...
If you are going to send her up to guelph if you double bag and keep cold it should be fine. Otherwise if you are going to necropsy her do it tomorrow once rigor subsides. Its easier.

:sEm_ImSorry:
i know how much you care for all your critters. Hang in there....you did amazing.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks Al, KB, WLLady, for your condolences.
And a big thank you for all your support and advice.
I've learned a lot from all of you, and also from Annemieke. Like what not to do next time, what signs to look for, now that she showed me how it goes when a hen is dying. Next time I won't let it go this long: once a chicken stops eating, that should have been the time I helped her out instead of prolonging her life by hand feeding.
I will contact the University of Guelph tomorrow, to see if they are open, and make arrangements to have her shipped for necropsy. I would like to know what was wrong with her, because if it's something I could have prevented, I need to know that, and if it isn't preventable, then at least if I ever have another hen with similar symptoms, I will have a better idea of how todeal with her.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am

Yes knowledge will always help. At least it can set your mind at rest.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Aw, I'm so sorry Jaye. She died warm and fed, that's the best any of us can do.
Just double bag, first bag a Ziploc if you have one big enough.
Hugs

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 am

Thanks for saying that, WWW. It helps to hear I didn't totally mess up because of my inexperience.
It's strange and sad not to see her around any more. :-(

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 am

Oh no! So sorry Jaye. The extra mile was taken for her without hesitation. Take some peace in that. Thanks for sharing her journey with us.
*hugs*

Return to “Health”