Poop Eater

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Poop Eater

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:28 am

Ok. I'm back about another issue, same Silkie. She's going to drive me bonkers before I get her figured out.

She is a poop eater. More recently, a very determined poop eater. Especially the light brownish mucky ones. She will gobble it up like its fine dinning.

Is she missing something in her diet? I have sat there and tried to deter her with a little 'peck' between her shoulders and she'll leave it. But if I leave the poop she goes right back and gobbles it up. Nothing worse than picking her up and her smelling like poop breath!

I've done some reading. Some suggest it is natural. Some suggest it isn't. Some say it's a hen keeping her future broody area less noticeable from predators and suggest it's a very distant characteristic that isn't seen in most hatchery chickens. (She's from a breeder). A distant characteristic much like throwing hay over herself while in the next box. She literally hides under the hay after throwing it all over her back to lay her egg.

Anyways, if anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate the share/knowledge.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Poop Eater

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 am

Is this broody mom doing this? or another silkie?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

BobG
On the Roost

Poop Eater

Post by BobG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:24 am

For what its worth ( not much ) I once read in a book years ago the following ; One birds poop is another birds dinner !!
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

SandyM

Poop Eater

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:16 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST Is this broody mom doing this? or another silkie?
Nope, it's bossy boots!!

WLLady

Re: Poop Eater

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:18 pm

HER again lol. Well...deworm her lots and i would not worry about it. Sounds like she might just be crazy...
Animals will commonly eat poop to get at undigested bits that are partly broken down...or a warm meal (i know-gross)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Poop Eater

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:20 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST HER again lol. Well...deworm her lots and i would not worry about it. Sounds like she might just be crazy...
Animals will commonly eat poop to get at undigested bits that are partly broken down...or a warm meal (i know-gross)
They just got Ivomectin a week ago. Should I do a round of piperazine?

WLLady

Re: Poop Eater

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Nah....i would just make sure she is done every 4 months or so. Because she will pick up stuff eating poop. Its a given.

SandyM

Poop Eater

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:24 pm

Yuck!!!
Ok. Noted and I'll put in calendar.

By the way, stop pick did nothing to deter her. She's going to get her peepers put on tonight that KB sent me, if anyone gets home in time to help me before its too dark. For now Roo is in his bachelor pad with a different girlfriend and bossy boots is PISSED!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Poop Eater

Post by kenya » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:23 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST HER again lol. Well...deworm her lots and i would not worry about it. Sounds like she might just be crazy...
Ha! Ha! Ha! I love this!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Poop Eater

Post by ross » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:34 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST
Ha! Ha! Ha! I love this!
Ditto lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Health”