A L E R T ! AI confirmed in SW Ontario - Updated

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

AI confirmed in SW Ontario - Updated

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:19 am

It would be a very good idea to avoid sales and auctions at this point. A devastating disease.

VERSION FRANÇAISE À SUIVRE DÈS QUE POSSIBLE

Ontario Poultry Industry Moving to
Heightened Biosecurity
Effective Immediately

March 26, 2022

Feather Board Command Centre (FBCC) has been made aware of suspect positive cases of High Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in two Ontario poultry flocks.

FBCC is issuing a heightened biosecurity advisory to all poultry farmers, small flock growers and poultry industry personnel throughout the province, effective immediately.

One suspect positive case is located in the Waterloo/Wellington area. CLICK HERE to access a 10km zone map.

A second suspect positive case is located in the Thamesford area. CLICK HERE to access a 10km zone map.

The following outlines biosecurity protocols that MUST be implemented (basic and heightened measures) on-farm:

Keep poultry away from areas frequented by wild birds.
Maintain strict control over access to poultry houses and your premises.
Make sure equipment is cleaned and disinfected before taking it into poultry houses.
Do not keep bird feeders or create duck ponds close to poultry barns.
Maintain the highest sanitation standards.
Change footwear when entering the Restricted Area and prevent wearing contaminated clothing and equipment in production areas.
Control access to your farm site by communicating the situation to all essential visitors, including service providers, input suppliers and feed providers.
Keep mortalities in secure, covered containers until they are moved to the disposal area or transported off-farm.
Place waste entering the public collection system in a sealed, waterproof bag with the exterior disinfected.
Place a hose and spray nozzle at entry point to Controlled Access Zone (CAZ); wash and disinfect vehicles at entry and at exit, paying special attention to wheels and wheel wells.
If possible, keep all waste on-farm until the situation is resolved.
IMPORTANT: Limit access to your farm to ESSENTIAL visitors only. Please note that each individual Feather Board (CFO, EFO, OBHECC, TFO) will be reaching out to their members regarding on-farm audits and inspections. Wherever possible, on-farm audits and inspections will be limited to essential visits only.

Required Heightened Biosecurity for Industry Service Personnel:

Travel onto farms should be limited to essential services only.
Roads that are contaminated with organic material should be avoided.
Washing vehicles between farms is ideal. At a minimum, all deliveries or loading in or near a Biosecurity Advisory Area should be last on the route.
Drive slowly when near barns to minimize dust.
Avoid parking by exhaust fans and air inlets unless required.
Avoid parking downwind from the barns, if possible.
Trucks should have steps, wheel wells and tires cleaned and disinfected before leaving the premises or before proceeding with, any other delivery/loading.
If not using disposable biosecurity apparel provided by the farmer, wear clean clothes and clean and disinfected boots at each farm.
Use disinfectants such as Virkon, Accel, VIROCID®, Bisentry, Biosolve Plus, Biofoam, etc., abiding by contact time and concentrations as per the label.
Be sure to clean any equipment used on-farm that could become contaminated.
Sign the visitor log book.
Keep your own records identifying where you have been and when.

FBCC is committed to providing timely communications to Ontario’s poultry industry and will continue to keep you updated as the situation evolves.

In the meantime, should birds show any signs of illness, farmers are to call their veterinarian, immediately. It is also recommended that you contact the 24-hour Feather Board Command Centre (FBCC) support line, 1-877-SOS-BYRD.

Regards,

Feather Board Command Centre

CLICK HERE to read the full disease advisory
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Re: AI confirmed in SW Ontario - Updated

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:15 am

INDUSTRY UPDATE
Animal Health and Welfare Branch/
Office of the Chief Veterinarian
Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Agricultural Information Contact Centre
1-877-424-1300
E-mail : ag.info.omafra@ontario.ca
www.ontario.ca/omafra
March 27, 2022
Avian Influenza Update for Small Flock Owners and Bird Fanciers
Avian influenza (AI) is a highly contagious viral disease that can infect domestic and wild birds,
including chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quails, ducks, geese, pigeons, psittacines and guinea
fowl.
On March 27, 2022, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) reported highly pathogenic
avian influenza (HPAI), subtype H5N1, in a poultry flock located in southern Ontario.
The risk of AI outbreaks occurring within Ontario is currently high because of it being
carried by migrating birds.
It is strongly recommended that small flock owners and owners of exhibition birds
avoid attending poultry events (shows, swaps and sales) during this high-risk
transmission period for AI.
Avian influenza is not a threat to food safety and Ontario poultry and eggs are safe to eat when
proper handling and cooking takes place. Avian influenza is not a significant public health
concern for healthy people that are not in routine contact with infected birds. People working
with poultry are strongly encouraged to follow all public health guidelines and maintain strict
biosecurity.
Avian Influenza
This virus is carried in free-flying waterfowls such as ducks, geese and shorebirds. Infected
birds may shed the virus in their feces, contaminating the environment. The virus can survive
for days in litter, feed, water, soil, dead birds, feathers and on the surface of eggs.
The AI virus is classified based on the ability to make birds sick:
• Highly pathogenic (HPAI) viruses cause severe clinical signs and significant mortality
Agricultural Information Contact Centre
1-877-424-1300
E-mail : ag.info.omafra@ontario.ca
www.ontario.ca/omafra
• Low pathogenic (LPAI) viruses cause mild or no clinical signs and low mortality
Both HPAI and LPAI viruses can spread quickly through flocks. LPAI viruses can mutate into
highly pathogenic strains, which is why it is important that AI outbreaks are managed promptly.
Certain strains of AI (H5 and H7) are federally reportable diseases under the Health of Animals
Act because they have the potential to spread quickly within domestic and wild bird
populations, they often result in severe disease and high mortality in infected flocks, they
disrupt international trade and they could possibly be transmitted to people.
What You Can Do
Birds with outdoor access should not share areas with wild ducks, geese, or shorebirds. Make
sure free-range areas do not have attractions for wild waterfowl, such as a pond or open
feeders, which may become contaminated with wild waterfowl droppings.
Be very diligent in observing your birds. Monitor mortalities and track feed and water
consumption. Watch for any signs of disease, such as decreased feed and water consumption,
depression, drop in egg production, swollen wattles, sneezing, gasping, discharges from the
nose or eyes, diarrhea, or sudden death.
Early detection is critical. Should you suspect any signs of health concerns in your flock,
contact your veterinarian immediately. A list of available veterinarian clinics that treat small
flock poultry species in Ontario is here.
Anyone who finds a sick or dead wild bird is encouraged to contact the Canadian Wildlife
Health Cooperative (CWHC). Do not touch that bird! Be prepared to submit details like where
you found the bird or discuss options for carcass submission to allow the CWHC to gather
information about the health of wild populations. It is recommended to take the following
steps:
Prevention is the key.
• Avoid attending shows, sales, and swap meets during high-risk periods, such as
spring and fall wild bird migration periods, and especially during any disease
outbreak.
• Do not allow people who have recently been in contact with other birds (e.g., their own or
attending a bird sale or show) near your birds and do not share equipment with other bird
owners.
• At any time, if you add new birds to your flock, make sure you get their complete
background information, including a history of any diseases and vaccinations. Keep the
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:36 am

Lombardy sale CANCELED cause of. This
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:13 am

I never thought there was anything good that could come of a weasel attack but it made me put tops on all the pens. No wild birds can get in to where the chickens are to take advantage of free food as they did in the past. . The girls are not happy about no free ranging anymore but them's the breaks I guess. And yeah, Lombardy is cancelled. Better safe than sorry. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:33 pm

So I have day old chicks on order from a hatchery in the area of current concern. I was making a day of it with my mother and picking the chicks up rather than having them shipped. Hatch day isn't until the end of the month. As things stand today I feel fine about this transaction and I'm taking a wait and see approach. If the situation worsens or hits that facility that will change. Is this a good idea?

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:27 pm

They did say that they weren't worried about day-olds because if they had AI they would be dead. CFIA is working with the hatcheries, feed stores etc. to provide PERMITS after consultations.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:31 am

Happy wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:33 pm
So I have day old chicks on order from a hatchery in the area of current concern. I was making a day of it with my mother and picking the chicks up rather than having them shipped. Hatch day isn't until the end of the month. As things stand today I feel fine about this transaction and I'm taking a wait and see approach. If the situation worsens or hits that facility that will change. Is this a good idea?
The only thing I would add would be to get booties to cover your shoes when you and your Mom go to pickup the chicks. I have chicks on order as well and I'm planning on wearing them and throwing them away once I get back I to my truck.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:52 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:31 am
Happy wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:33 pm
The only thing I would add would be to get booties to cover your shoes when you and your Mom go to pickup the chicks. I have chicks on order as well and I'm planning on wearing them and throwing them away once I get back I to my truck.
Gottem. My husband thought I was kidding when I made him put them on to go in the coop the other night 😆. My boots don't leave this property. His do.
I've also got Oxivir spray.

Return to “Health”