A L E R T ! FBCC ALert

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

FBCC ALert

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:01 am

High Path Avian Influenza Biosecurity Advisory
March 23, 2022
Current Situation:

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has informed the Feather Board Command Centre that a positive case of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) H5N1 was officially confirmed on March 22 in a red-tailed hawk west of Waterloo, Ontario
On March 15, Canada’s 6th HPAI infected poultry flock was reported in a non-commercial flock in southern Nova Scotia. There have been several recent HPAI cases in wild birds in BC and all the Maritime provinces.
Over the past 6 weeks, the US has reported over 13.3 million domesticated birds lost in 50 outbreaks in 17 states. 27 of these outbreaks involved commercial poultry. 385 Infected wild birds have been identified including one in Erie County, Ohio, some 70 km south of Leamington.
This USGS map shows the HPAI distribution across North America’s 4 migratory bird flyways.

What does this mean for the Ontario poultry industry?

The risk of an Avian Influenza incursion into Ontario poultry that come in direct or indirect contact with infected wild bird droppings is high. The risk to individual flocks will depend on biosecurity vigilance of individual farmers and service providers.
All poultry growers and service providers should strictly enforce their required basic biosecurity standards and identify heightened measures that could be implemented if needed in the future
For the sake of your flock and those of your neighbours’, please ensure you are exercising an abundance of biosecurity caution, on and off the farm
Poultry industry personnel should avoid any direct or indirect contact with wild birds eg hunting, feeding. Avoid introducing wild bird droppings into barns on hands, boots, apparel, equipment
Look for signs of illness. If your birds show any signs suggestive of avian influenza, call your veterinarian immediately.
FBCC is in the process of enhancing prevention and preparedness risk management strategies. In the event of HPAI being confirmed in an Ontario small flock or commercial flock, the FBCC will recommend that Heightened Biosecurity measures be applied on all Ontario poultry premises and by industry service providers.

To help you protect your flock during this spring migration season, the FBCC web site provides links to biosecurity tips and Avian Influenza disease information.
Important contact information for government agencies is also available there.

If you are experiencing higher than usual mortality, it is recommended that you contact your Board or the 24- hour Feather Board Command Centre (FBCC) support line 1-877-SOS-BYRD
Visit www.fbcc.ca for additional resources and subscribe to FBCC Disease Alerts.
www.fbcc.ca
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Re: FBCC ALert

Post by lolotsung » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:05 pm

:shock: I found a dead starling yesterday :(
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:11 am

DO not touch any dead birds.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:25 am

So I'm curious what everyone is doing? I am on flockdown but not sure how long I can maintain that or if it even makes sense if I'm not taking other precautions like sanitizing footwear. I have "barn boots" but I do wear them in the yard. We've currently got 1000's of geese flying overhead.
And as a side note-I'm finding it really difficult to type anything that ends up making sense with these two pictures in the text box 😳

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:43 am

Us too. We're on the flyway and with turkeys it's difficult. If it hits near home they will be shut under the hoop houses and tht will not be greeted well but it's better than the alternative. I am hatching poults this year and selling eggs. These have never left the house so a meeting can be arranged. I am currently trying to arrange transport to Sudbury for a Jake but not sure how that will work. I have shipped eggs to a couple of people too although I've never done that before.
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:37 am

Our vet told me twice not to let the chickens free range because of AI but I've been letting them free range and it doesn't seem right to lock them up in an enclosure when they can go anywhere they want on our property. I know this is not scientific in any way :lol: but if I was a chicken I would probably say "Set me free, if I die I die." If my mom was a chicken, she would say "I'll stay in the enclosure where it's safe." So I'm still not sure what to do :-? Mom knows best? For now, I'll build a run and see how they like it. Guess I'm going to be busy this weekend. Maybe I'll ask my handyman brother to drop buy and help out. ;)

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:54 pm

@Happy click the "Full Editor & Preview" button and the text you type will be higher up and the photos will be on the bottom right.
Screenshot 2022-03-26 195331.png

Return to “Health”