Torticollis, wry neck. Article of the day

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Torticollis, wry neck. Article of the day

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:44 am

I have had probably three hens over the years develop wry neck and it didn't end well as I recall. And pragmatic hard hearted me, if a chick has it and cant keep up with mom and the others, it is probably dispatched so the others are stronger. Depends on how severe it is. Part of this attitude oof mine is reflected in what I told Cath when little ones have serious problems. They don't all make it, thats why ey have 6 or 8 or 10 at a time, instead of singles. Nature knows they don't all make it.

Anyway, I was wondering about causes and treatments, and I found this article. I like her writing, not a vet but scientifically researched.

https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Torticollis, wry neck. Article of the day

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:50 am

Yup. I supplement all my birds with vits and minerals years round. It is critical in breeding season.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Health”