Information Chicken Article of the Day

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Chicken Article of the Day

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:46 am

Since there is so much controversy about this and the weather is cold I decided to post this. For the record mine get oatmeal.
https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/12/07/ ... -chickens/
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Chicken Article of the Day

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:16 pm

Some people will believe anything. And some experts can be found to say stuff for money, that may not be technically a lie, but a very narrow finding of one thing, because that is what they wanted to find. Same as some vaxers and antivaxers quote to prove they are right.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 pm

I'm not really sure what they are eating. They wander around pecking and digging all day. So I'm guessing a mainly bug and grass diet.They have oyster shell and Shur-Gain layer feed in the coop but they don't eat much. I have fed them oatmeal and they like it but they like just about anything I feed them. I try not to feed them much. I figure it is best to let them find their food because I have heard that chickens can get obese. Good article @Killerbunny !
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Thanks for posting this @Killerbunny I read this an thought, honestly! I've been feeding mine oatmeal every day for years. They are no worst for it. In fact if I don't come out with it, they are up set...lol

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am

I feed my chickens some whole oats occasionally. I have noticed loose stools sometimes afterward. Some chickens will eat more of them than others. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens says "Including whole oats as part of the summer diet minimizes heat stress and improves egg production in hot weather".

Return to “Health”