What do chickens smell? Article of the day

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

What do chickens smell? Article of the day

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:45 am

My dog sniffs at everything, and it tells him vast amounts of information. I was wondering what chickens smell and react to, so I looked things up as best I could.

Many scholarly articles, mostly difficult and time consuming to try to digest, but I found this one that generalizes fairly well. Certainly not to be compared to a dog, but yes, chickens do smell things. Food and socializing and predators seem to be the most useful.

So here is the article of the day should you care to read it.
https://petkeen.com/do-chickens-have-a-sense-of-smell/
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Re: What do chickens smell? Article of the day

Post by lolotsung » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:14 am

the first time i fed chickens avocado they looked and walked away...same thing with oranges...so i don't fee either to chickens...i have read that they are both toxic and i have read that they are not...so i'm not sure if they are :-?

so are they born with the ability to know that certain foods are not good for them and is this because of the look or smell or both?
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Return to “Health”