Dead chicken

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
labradors
Head Chicken

Dead chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:03 pm

After the worm discovery this morning, I noticed that one of the chickens didn't want to go out in the chicken tractor. She hadn't wanted to go into the coop last night either (and we had to chase her down to get her inside for the night), so I left her by herself for a while, and noticed that she was hunkering down, fluffed up, barely moving and closing her eyes. Oddly, her comb and wattle were a dark red, belying her condition.

When I finally caught her to examine (and she put up quite a fight). She felt light, her crop was empty and her oviduct was open. Unfortunately, although I was as gentle as I could have been, I fear that perhaps my handling of her didn't do her any good. We put her in the coop with some food and water, but as we walked away, we heard her crying out. When we looked in through the window, she appeared to be convulsing - and then she died and her comb/wattle turned purple :(.

She was barely two years old and I'm so sad.
Linda
Last edited by labradors on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Dead chicken

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:33 pm

Likely heart issues from the description. Unlikely you could do anything they hide illness so well :-(
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:44 am

Linda I'm sorry.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:13 am

So hard to lose a young hen. I agree with KB, there probably was nothing you could do. They hide illness very well. Very sorry.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Sorry to hear.... It sucks. That was very likely a heart issue. They hide not feeling well very efficiently...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:50 pm

Thanks everyone. If it was a heart issue, there wasn't a thing I could have done. A few days before, I had noticed what a beautiful deep red her comb was, and thought she must have been very healthy....... She was the prettiest and a darned good layer :(.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Thanks everyone. If it was a heart issue, there wasn't a thing I could have done. A few days before, I had noticed what a beautiful deep red her comb was, and thought she must have been very healthy....... She was the prettiest and a darned good layer :(.

Return to “Health”