Worms

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
labradors
Head Chicken

Worms

Post by labradors » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

I found a little present on the poop board this morning, a cluster of 4 x 2" long worms which appeared to be dead! They were white and very skinny, skinnier than spaghetti. I'm guessing they have to be round worms.

What should I do now? These six were "ready to lay" in April 2020 and I've never given them any de-wormer.

The chickens appear to be healthy, and we usually get 4, 5 or 6 eggs every day.

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Worms

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:50 am

I spray 2x a year under the wings and on legs with pour on Ivermectin. This is also used in humans so I am OK with eating the eggs but I would not sell to customers for 2 weeks. You could also use piperazine or fenbendazole. I think some others on PTO use these so perhaps they could chime in.
Oh and I onlt give it to bird 6 months and up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:10 am

Thanks KB. Spraying Ivermectin is a new one on me. Sounds as if that would take care of any mites. Presume it must get absorbed on the legs at least.........

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:03 am

I do under the wings for better skin absorption plus large vein there and the legs for mites, not too much. It is the pour on version that I use. DO wear gloves if you do a lot of birds or slop it around it can make you unwell.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 am

I use the injectable type. I draw it and and put 3-5 drops for standards and 1-3 for my silkies and showgirls on the back of their necks. Help deal with scaly leg mites. I only deworm when I see them. For mites...I have something you can't get anymore. One treatment and no more mites and or lice. Bronco Fly Spray works as well.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:17 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 am
I use the injectable type. I draw it and and put 3-5 drops for standards and 1-3 for my silkies and showgirls on the back of their necks. Help deal with scaly leg mites. I only deworm when I see them. For mites...I have something you can't get anymore. One treatment and no more mites and or lice. Bronco Fly Spray works as well.
I do same with injectable. How often do you do it?
I finally ran out of "the stuff you can't get anymore" although my feed store does still have it-I don't have the paperwork to buy it. @ross recommended Bronco a while back and I have to say I'm very impressed how quickly it works. Not looking forward to having to spray a bottom in the dead of winter though.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 pm

@Happy about 3x times a year. You need to find a feed store that will sell it to you...lol I bought about 9 of them before they took them away. Assuming it doesn't go bad...lol I'll have a lifetime supply..

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:36 pm

I ended up buying Equine Safeguard paste as I learned that we can give each chicken a pea-sized amount. It's not easy to find stuff here in Kingston -or maybe I just don't know where to look...... I dosed them after lunch and they are still kicking at least :).

For mites, I too have some (nasty) powder that's probably not available any more.

Linda

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 pm

For worms I have the piperazine powder. I dissolve it in the water that I mix with their laying mash.
For mites, I have that nasty powder. But we have recently used ivermectin drops on the back of the neck.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Piperazine is my go to for roundworms in chickens. Just make up a waterer full and leave it in as sole water for 24 hours. Then 3 days later clean out the coop. Then retreat in 10 days if i see any more spaghettis.... Treat routinely every 4 months....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”