Question scalped pullet

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

scalped pullet

Post by KimChick » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:47 pm

One of my 12 wk old pullets (pretty sure it is female) has been scalped.
After catching her, the only thing I have done is quickly get her into the barn, in a little pen with food and water, and sprayed Vetrycin on her head. I'm pretty sure I was only seeing some red connective tissue on the top of her head. Plus there is skin missing at the back of her head, too.
Those are my first observations; I have not examined her; I wanted her to have some rest first.
Any advice would be most welcome!

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: scalped pullet

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:29 pm

They will heal. Keep it clean. I like polysporin with no pain additive. You might want to spray some Blu knote or something that has colour in it when you put her back outside. I would see if someone attacked her or if it was just an accident. Good luck.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:39 pm

They do heal really fast-keep it clean and i would keep her separated for a while until it heals up so others don't pick at it. Chickens can have aspirin for pain too if she seems painful.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:07 pm

Thanks Kbr42 and WLLady.
We have been putting polysporin on the injured area. The pullet is alert, eating & drinking, and is walking around, tail up, in the section of the barn. She is on the main centre section but can walk around the other side of a wall to see the meat chickens in their pen and the old Cochin hen on her platform.

Return to “Health”