Leg Lifts

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Leg Lifts

Post by Chicken Ninja » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:16 pm

I agree with cold feet, ours do it when the ground is cold - like us folding our fingers up into our fists or pulling our hands into the sleeves of a down coat to warm them up! :)
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Leg Lifts

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:30 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST
Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Check for raised scales too.
How old is she? I have a 5 yr old BSL who has trouble with her with her feet in winter. She exhibits similar behaviour when it's cold and damp. Maybe arthritis or a problem with circulation. I don't know - I'm just guessing. I sometimes give mine a foot soak in warm water and Epsom salts, dry off her feet and apply VetRX. It seems to help a bit for a while. Her feet are fine in the warmer months.
Thanks Jaye & Robbie. She just turned 1 this month. I will keep an eye on her. I wish I knew what raised scales look like. I'm going to take a picture of her feet when I put her in the pen around 5:30 and post on here. She's free ranging with her flock so I'll let her be for now.
SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST Thanks Jaye & Robbie. She just turned 1 this month. I will keep an eye on her. I wish I knew what raised scales look like. I'm going to take a picture of her feet when I put her in the pen around 5:30 and post on here. She's free ranging with her flock so I'll let her be for now.
Sandy
Pic of raised leg scales
image.jpg

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Leg Lifts

Post by Robbie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:27 pm

I can't tell from that picture, it might look a bit swollen? How does it compare to the other foot? Can you feel if one foot is hotter than the other? Feathered feet and mud can be a bad combination, it's hard to see what is going on and the cold wet muddy feathers can freeze and cause frostbite more easily than non feathered feet. It's hard to see infections, leg mites etc starting up too.
If it were my hen I'd do as Jaye suggested, a good foot soak to get the foot cleaned off, and check thoroughly when completely dry to see if there's any difference in the feet.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Those are both feet. One is left and one is right. They look normal and I definitely don't see any scales lifted.

I will give her a bath tomorrow and give her a good inspection. Thanks everyone. Here's to hoping it's cold feet!
Last edited by SandyM on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Leg Lifts

Post by Robbie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just cold wet feet :-)
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Leg Lifts

Post by Jaye » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:00 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST Those are both feet. One is left and one is right. They look normal and I definitely don't see any scales lifted.

I will give her a bath tomorrow and give her a good inspection. Thanks everyone. Here's to hoping it's cold feet!
Hey Sandy, when you say, "give her a bath", you mean just a foot soak, right? ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Well no. I was going to bathe her lol. A foot soak is definitely easier. Think I'll start with that.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Leg Lifts

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Certainly whatever it is its not dire or drastic or life threatening.she is looking pretty good actually. Prob just cold...went to check on the leghorns tonight and all 4 birds had one leg! Lol. Each had the right tucked up standing on the left. Wish i had taken my cellphone because it looked all the world like one legged chicken stock lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Leg Lifts

Post by Jaye » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Honestly, there's no reason to give her a complete bath, since it's just her feet bothering her. Besides, in these temps it's not really advisable to be giving Silkies a bath. Unless they are caked with stuff on their feathers, I would advise against bathing them, because you're also stripping their feathers of protective coating unnecessarily. Also, they take forever to blow dry, and you really do need to make sure they are good and dry before putting them outside again at this time of year. A foot soak and thorough dry-off is really all you need to do. You'll be able to see if there's anything going on with her feet then. I'm betting that Robbie was right: cold feet. Is your coop floor concrete? If so, that holds the cold, so a deeper layer of bedding will really help.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 am

Coop floor is wood. Has flax bedding but she was out free ranging. It's damp and a bit wet. So today she's in the pen (on the divided side) with a friend. She has wood chips and straw because that is concrete. Actually right now she's dusting. I sure hope it's just cold feet.

I'll have to do her later. Have to meet feed delivery truck (gets delivered to a side road once a month - makes us all look shady hauling bags from a transport to our vehicles lol).

So I make a warm water tub for her and add empson salt. Just let her walk in it?

Return to “Health”