Leg Lifts

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:57 pm

Im not sure if this is a health concern or a behaviour issue.

Bossy boots, Silkie hen who is removed from her flock when not free ranging with them (she leaves his feathers alone when free ranging, go figure). Anyways, she will lift her right leg up to her chest and put it back down again. No rhyme or reason that I can see. She still runs around and I don't see any limping. Last time I left the barred rocks signs too long and ended up having to cull her. So I'm putting feelers out to see if I'm missing something. Is this a warning sign of a health concern?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Leg Lifts

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:05 pm

check the bottom of her foot for bumblefoot. if there's nothing there then i wouldn't worry unless she starts acting "weirder".
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Ok, going to look now with camera in hand.

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm

phone died..no picture. But it all looks good to me. One is the same as the other. I will keep an eye on her.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Leg Lifts

Post by Jaye » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Check for raised scales too.
How old is she? I have a 5 yr old BSL who has trouble with her with her feet in winter. She exhibits similar behaviour when it's cold and damp. Maybe arthritis or a problem with circulation. I don't know - I'm just guessing. I sometimes give mine a foot soak in warm water and Epsom salts, dry off her feet and apply VetRX. It seems to help a bit for a while. Her feet are fine in the warmer months.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Leg Lifts

Post by Robbie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Cold feet.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:29 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Check for raised scales too.
How old is she? I have a 5 yr old BSL who has trouble with her with her feet in winter. She exhibits similar behaviour when it's cold and damp. Maybe arthritis or a problem with circulation. I don't know - I'm just guessing. I sometimes give mine a foot soak in warm water and Epsom salts, dry off her feet and apply VetRX. It seems to help a bit for a while. Her feet are fine in the warmer months.
Thanks Jaye & Robbie. She just turned 1 this month. I will keep an eye on her. I wish I knew what raised scales look like. I'm going to take a picture of her feet when I put her in the pen around 5:30 and post on here. She's free ranging with her flock so I'll let her be for now.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Leg Lifts

Post by Jaye » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:34 pm

If she's only one, I think it's cold feet, as Robbie suggested. Try adding more bedding if she's doing it on the floor of the coop.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST If she's only one, I think it's cold feet, as Robbie suggested. Try adding more bedding if she's doing it on the floor of the coop.
Shes out free ranging. I'm going to go and give her a check now. Curiously killed this cat!

SandyM

Leg Lifts

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Good foot
image.jpeg
Foot/leg that's being lifted
image.jpeg

Return to “Health”