Can't find Amprolium

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Mochi
Newly Hatched Chick

Can't find Amprolium

Post by Mochi » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 pm

I'm in Toronto, have been looking at all the "nearby" feed stores I can think of. Talked to a guy at a feed store near Orangeville and he told me they had to pull all Coccidia meds off the shelves last year and the only way to get any is through a vet??
I've been looking all over online. I know I can order it online from US but I'm not sure if it would be allowed through the border?
If any one has a big jug and would be willing to spare some I would be immensely grateful!

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Can't find Amprolium

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:07 am

Mochi wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 pm
I'm in Toronto, have been looking at all the "nearby" feed stores I can think of. Talked to a guy at a feed store near Orangeville and he told me they had to pull all Coccidia meds off the shelves last year and the only way to get any is through a vet??
I've been looking all over online. I know I can order it online from US but I'm not sure if it would be allowed through the border?
If any one has a big jug and would be willing to spare some I would be immensely grateful!
See if you can get some from here. https://www.petsdrugmart.ca/

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 am

I have bought regulated medicines and rat bait online from Europe and USA. It always cleared the border. If they know in US it's restricted sometimes they won't ship without prescription. Mostly I go E-Bay Poland, Romania or Ukraine if that's the case. Just don't buy a large enough quantity that they think you might want to sell some.

This is where I got my last Amprol 128 about 8 months ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amprol-128-Amp ... SwVLRaU812

As long as it's legal to own in Canada then customs should clear it.

Mochi
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mochi » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:49 am

Kbr42 yes, they are out of stock.

LongCrow, Thank You! That's reassuring!

Does any one know why it is so impossible to find? Do local retailers just not stock it over the winter months? Is there any merit to what the guy at the feed store told me? Gov't website still lists it as an over the counter:
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/animal-hea ... 0981620537

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:04 pm

Mochi wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:49 am
Kbr42 yes, they are out of stock.

LongCrow, Thank You! That's reassuring!

Does any one know why it is so impossible to find? Do local retailers just not stock it over the winter months? Is there any merit to what the guy at the feed store told me? Gov't website still lists it as an over the counter:
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/animal-hea ... 0981620537
Because you need to go to a Vet to get it. They changed the rules 2 yrs ago. Antibiotics have to be purchased froma vet in Canada. With the border closed it's very difficult to get anything.

Mochi
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mochi » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:31 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:04 pm

Because you need to go to a Vet to get it. They changed the rules 2 yrs ago. Antibiotics have to be purchased froma vet in Canada. With the border closed it's very difficult to get anything.
?? but Amprolium is not an antibiotic. Maybe you're thinking of Coxistac which is used for coccidia and also has antibiotic properties but Amprolium most definitely is not an antibiotic.

Here's another page from the gov't of Canada, this one updated July 2020, also listing Amprolium as being an over the counter medication.
I can't find any thing issued from the gov't suggesting it is any type of a controlled or restricted drug.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/animal-hea ... 2783196850

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 am

Amprolium is a thiamine receptor blocker and shouldn't, in theory, need a scrip. I assume Feed Stores don't want to take chances?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:16 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 am
Amprolium is a thiamine receptor blocker and shouldn't, in theory, need a scrip. I assume Feed Stores don't want to take chances?
That's my guess as well. I have seen it in a feed store in a couple of years.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi Mochi, I am just west of you in the Cambridge area.

Farmer's Farmacy in Cambridge carries it and I am sure you can order it online from them, here is the link:

https://www.farmersfarmacy.com/gc/gc_se ... m&AU=&Z9=0

If not I have half of a jug and can spare half if you can't get your hands on any.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am

Amazon.ca has Corid for sale.

Return to “Health”