Fly strike

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Fly strike

Post by kenya » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 am

@Happy mine didn't have a hole yet , thankfully and after cleaning it and putting polysporin on it, the next couple days I sprayed his back end with Bronco. Not the wound itself of course.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm

I've been doing the polysporin morning and night. My husband was telling a retired veterinarian about Miss Kitty and he was relating some horror stories about dogs and cats that he saw over the years with fly strike and thousands of maggots coming out of them 🤢. It reminded me of my poor Lassy dog that I had as a kid. Tippy. My dad hated that dog. Everyone hated that dog except me. She chased the cows everytime someone pulled into the driveway. One day we came home to find her lame by the barnyard. I was told that she had been hit by a car on the road. My dad carried her into the barn and told me he gave her "cow medicine". A couple days later I came home to her in the basement with our farm vet shaving her back end and removing hundreds of maggots. I cried and cried. My dad pulled out all the stops and doctored her back to health. She eventually regained her legs although she ran with a really odd gait.
It was close to 40 years later that my dad-now declining with Alzheimer's disease-asked if I remembered that dog of mine that he ran over one day. I said ummmmm-no which dog? He quickly replied that damned long nosed hairy thing that chased the cows. 😕 the stuff I learned from Alzheimers was both a blessing and a curse. I choose to focus on the fact that he saved her for me in the end.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:53 pm

Memories are wonderful.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am

On memories we might have been happy not knowing ....
my son's, now all law abiding adults occasionally when they get together reminisce about their childhood adventures of which I was not aware and would have been just as happy to continue not knowing, one of the highlights of their childhood apparently being when a neighbors pig died on a hot summer day and swelled to heroic proportions, and my dear children with other neighborhood kids tried to see if they could make it explode ???

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Some things are better not knowing.

sandramurphy12
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by sandramurphy12 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:24 pm

thats epic thanks for info!!!

Return to “Health”