Question To Medicate or Not to Medicate

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ThePluckyHen
Newly Hatched Chick

To Medicate or Not to Medicate

Post by ThePluckyHen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:35 pm

I'm new to poultry rearing, I've had some experience and a lot of knowledge gain through my boyfriend's flock but this is my first time as an independent hen-mother. I am planning on hatching my own chicks and have been doing a lot of research on potential issues. One of the concerns I have is Coccidiosis. I've read a lot and am still unsure if I need to give my first brood (hatched in an incubator) with no contact to any other chickens and raised indoors in an unused brooder, medicated feed. I've read conflicting advice from yes absolutely to "if they are healthy it's probably fine to use organic and unmedicated feed". Does anyone have some advice for an anxious first-time parent?

Regards,

The Plucky Hen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: To Medicate or Not to Medicate

Post by kenya » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 pm

You don't need medicated feed if you get the chicks outside every day to free range on grass and dirt. This will build up a natural immunity to cocci. It doesn't have to be very long, an hour, and if the weather's nasty miss that day.

captivakennels
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by captivakennels » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 am

it would depend on where you are and the ground the birds are going to. Also how clean is their area etc. Coccidia can kill or more so the bloody stools and dehydration can kill...why would you not prevent it and slowly build up resistance?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:22 am

It's a very personal decision. I have never fed medicated feed BUT the area has never had any type of poultry etc. on it before. I breed my own turkeys and my foundation came from 1 breeders closed flock. Hope that doest jinx it for me!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:46 am

It does depend on your area, but in general if you are keeping them in a clean environment, and introduce them to ground gradually so that they can build immunity, you can feed un-medicated. I have always fed un-medicated to any chicks that have been raised either by broody hen or by me, in part because my local feed store doesn't carry medicated, so I have gone with what they had. When I've raised them in a brooder, I tried to replicate as much as possible what a hen raising chicks does; she'll introduce them to their environment gradually. I dug up small clumps of grass, clover/dandelion with soil and set it in a dish in the brooder after about the first week for them to scratch and peck at.
If you have access to medicated feed, you could go that route, but I wouldn't even if I did have a source nearby. It comes down to personal choice: building natural immunity gradually, or going the medicated feed route. Option one (non-medicated) is more risky, but IMHO it may build hardier chickens.
Also, something to consider if you have a mother hen raising chicks, I don't think I'd want the mother hen eating medicated feed.
Last edited by Jaye on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 am

Not for me and mine to use prophylactically. I will medicate if a particular bird needs it, but just to feed it "because maybe" I dont really consider the right way to do things. Mostly, free run small flocks do better and are more healthy overall without it. If you are commercial and have ten thousand in one building, might be a different decision making tree.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:22 am

I always feed medicated chick starter to my chicks, regardless if they are raised by my broodies. I keep silkies and showgirls, I live in a high migrating bird traffic area. It works for my flock. I don't have any issues with them.

ThePluckyHen
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by ThePluckyHen » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks so much, everyone! It really helps to get some insight into what works for you. My chicks still won't hatch for a while so I feel better knowing potential routes to take when they do!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:57 pm

We also give our chicks medicated starter feed because they are in the brooder for about 4 weeks. Then we start mixing it with laying mash until the medicated starter is gone.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 am

Never used medicated chick starter in the 30 years we raised chickens, there was a time several years ego when non medicated chick starter wasn't available, so used duck starter (that is never medicated) instead of chick starter.
Just like @Farrier1987 I don't believe in medicating without symptoms.
Never had cocci in the flock, bit of elbow grease, plenty of sunshine and fresh air and good food is all that is needed :)

BTW your feed store should have a non medicated chick starter, not necessary to buy "organic" unless you really want to, the price is pretty high and regular non-medicated is the same price as medicated, or close to.

Return to “Health”