Being Plucked Bare **HELP NEEDED**

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 pm

My Silkie hen is at it again.

I went to lock them up tonight and do my head count. She has the rooster cornered and plucking his feathers out. Some she eats and some she just drops. He's visibly down in count of feathers on the one side she is frigging OCD over. :help:

She is blocked off from him for the night. And she screamed bloody murder over it and is pacing back and forth. I don't know what to do with her? He barely has any feathers left, just in this one area. :gaah:

Previously when I posted someone mentioned she could see mites ... I don't think this is the case. I thinks she's bat poop crazy coupled with OCD. It's one area she picks at. This is also the one who chases me and pecks at my feet and legs and squawks up a storm and charges me when I go near her nesting box or take eggs. Even though she isn't sitting on any. Love her to pieces but I'm starting to wonder about her state of mind :pull_hair:

Tomorrow. Ivomectin for all of them!!

I really need ANY advice on what might be her issue. I'm going to put her in isolation if she doesn't stop.

I thought about putting an essential oil on him, like a peppermint or something. Rub in my hands and just smooth over him so he tastes gross. Thoughts? I also thought about putting turmeric on him or garlic. ANYTHING so she will stop.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Do Not use tea tree oil the fumes will kill.

You could try stop pick which is a red goo you put on the bare spot. it just gums them up when they pick. works fro some and not others.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks Doug. I remember from before to not use tea tree oil. Can I get the stop pick from stores like home hardware or minor bros?

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:53 pm

TSC Here has it as well as the feed store.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Thank you. I'm on it in the morning!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Long shot but worth a try-some chickens eat feathers because they arent getting enough protein for whatever reason-i would feed her dry cat food (i know.....there she goes again on the cat food thing LOL) while she is separated...and of course try everything else you can think of. And then if she still doesnt quit then a permanent segregation (or relocation or freezer camp or...?) may be in order. Too bad rooster doesnt grow a pair and peck her back....um....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:21 am

I don't think it's a protein issue. They just got a load of chicken left over and roast beef I had frozen in smaller quantities to give them over time. They get raw marrow bones with lots of beef on it. They also get raw organs and raw chicken carcass a few times a week. I will try anything, so I'll put some cat kibble in for her.

I googled and some other suggestions were Tuna for the protein. I'm having salmon for dinner so I'll save her some. Tart. Thanks for suggestions. She may need a new home because this issue has been a while now, it's just getting worse over time.

Scotty
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Scotty » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:01 am

Hi just read your post sorry to hear about hen/rooster issues.I am new to poultry world , but àre raw organs , chicken carcass and bone maŕrow healthy and or safe for birds diet and digestive system?

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:14 am

Well, like most things, everyone has their way of raising livestock. My guys will eat mice and moles that the cats bring, eat salamanders and spend most of their summer chasing each other because one of them just caught a toad or frog. They swallow it whole if small enough, if a larger one they pull it apart (tug of war with each other really) and then will swallow whole once it's a good size for them. Then there are bugs, beetles etc. These are all raw food items with bones and shells. They love crickets and gold fish I would throw in the pool for the ducks. Yes, most of my chickens can fish when they see a yummy fish up for grabs.

My feeding of raw has been heavily debated. It doesn't have to be for everyone. It's what I do. Raw has the highest level of nutrients available, because as we all know, cooking alters these levels.

How I look at it end of the day. Chickens are omnivores. Omnivores in the animal kingdom does not mean mom is in the kitchen cooking a steak.

I think the best advice I got a long time ago from Bert was, let the chickens decide.

Cheers!!
Last edited by SandyM on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:17 am

Some just are feather pickers, something missing in their genetic makeup. I had some bantams given to me as a kid and they freeranged and still feather picked like everything and I tried everything to stop it, nothing worked. I ended up getting rid of them, I have never had any like that since.

Return to “Health”