Problems with laying egg

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Problems with laying egg

Post by Jetsko » Thu May 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi

Need Advice - my hen Elvis is about 4 yrs old, yesterday she spent all day in the nesting box. Today she is out but not her usual bitchy bully self and I noticed that she had a yucky poopy butt. I put her in a bath of water only, to clean her butt and saw that she has what looks like an egg membrane hanging out of her vent. I finished washing & drying her butt and put her outside. She has been standing in the sun with her eyes closed, obviously not feeling well.

I noticed during the winter, that her & my other older hen's eggs shells were very thin, so I switched to layer feed with calcium and also continue to offer crushed egg shells from all my hens (I have 2 older girls, & 3 young ones) from a separate feeder. I think she may have tried to lay a shell less egg .

Do I try to pull the membrane out? Let her body handle it?

Should I add something to the water or food? She is one of 5 hens, the others are acting normal.

Thank you in advance for your expert advice.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Problems with laying egg

Post by kenya » Thu May 14, 2020 2:45 pm

I'd pull the membrane out and have her bottom soak in a warm Epsom salt bath for 10 minutes or so.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm

I agree with @kenya , except I would probably not try to pull the membrane out until after she's had a good soak in a warm Epsom salts bath first. Also you'll need to dry her butt off a bit afterwards. You can use a hand dryer on warm/cool setting so that she doesn't get overheated in the process.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Agree with @Jaye

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm

thanks for the advice - will let you know how she is doing tomorrow

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Fri May 15, 2020 10:55 am

Gave Elvis a 10 min soak in epsom salt bath this morning & then slowly pulled out the membrane. She seems a bit spunkier when I put her on the washing machine to dry - I'll continue to watch her closely. I've attached a picture of Elvis when she is almost dry.

Thank you for the help

Can anyone tell me what type of hen she is - previous owner didn't know. Also why did she grow white fluffy feathers on her back at the base of the tail this winter? (I don't have a rooster only 5 girls)
Elvis 2.jpg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Glad to see she's feeling better. :-) She looks a lot like a hatchery variety Production Red Sex Link to me.
Last edited by Jaye on Fri May 15, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm

Glad your hen is feeling better.
I agree, she looks like a Red Sex Link; I have some of those.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri May 15, 2020 2:28 pm

Well hopefully that works.

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Elvis Update - She had a dust bath with the other girls and was walking around the yard with them as well. She even tried to steal a bug from one of the Sussex's. She is slowly returning to her bitchy bully self.
Thanks for your help

Return to “Health”